Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Feedback (Tube & S.S)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Why is it that tube amps are much easier to coax into controllable feedback, whereas SS amps tend to squeal more than anything else?

The feedback from an SVT stack I used for recording recently was unholy (good), but there's no way I can duplicate it with my Eden without ending up with a shrieking mess.

Is it the even-order harmonics of a tube power section that makes it possible?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I've found that each setup combination (most importantly the bass) generates feedback differently. I used to get really sweet FB with a Precision Elite II, Peavey head and an Ampeg 1 18 cab. Once I upgraded my rig, I had to relearn all the sweet spots all over again. And again when I switched to a Stingray.

It's more about technique than anything else, IMO.

3. Technique definitely has something to do with it.

But I was really surprised by the difference between the SVT and Eden (WT800). Both using the same 8x10 cab, both with the same Rickenbacker.

It just seemed that low-frequency feedback actually worked, and was totally controllable via instrument position with the SVT. Any attempt with the Eden (unless using a dist. pedal, which helps) at similar volume levels went from a mild (barely audible) feedback straight to squealing.

I guess i'll just have to wait until they make 20lb SVTs that I can afford! :D