Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Figured Out, Help w/ Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steers b-c, Aug 27, 2005.

1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    First, thanks for all your help in regards to my other thread. I've worked out a really nice deal for a new condition Sunn 300T, which I think will provide what I'm looking for in terms of an amp. That said, I'm now focusing on the cab situation. As mentioned in the other thread, I have an Ampeg HLF 4x10 that, while an excellent set of speakers, simply can't handle the distortion, noise, loops, and all that I push through it. Thus, I'm now in the market for a 4 ohm 1x18 or so that can take the punishment without a volume drop while I use the Ampeg for the highs. If required, I'm prepared to use a poweramp so as to hit the speaker with more watts. Vicenzajay pointed me to Madison Speakers, who I have every intention of checking out, but I also open to other ideas.

Aside: I'm also interested in pickups that would reduce noise from my American Standard Jazz while maintaining the aggresive sound. The noise isn't much of a big deal when clean, but with the gain levels I use it can become a complete nightmare, particularly while recording.

Thanks for all your help!

2. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Very, very nice. That would be able to handle insane noise and lows successfully? I only ask because most have been pushing me towards 18s, or at least 15s...

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes.

You should talk to Jorg Schroeder.

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Ahh, yes! That Lo-freq is, indeed, a "sick freak", and, to top it off, he's apparently from my home town (DFW). God Bless Texas! :hyper:

Living out here in Paradise it's a little difficult, if not impossible, to have a chance to play around with some of the finer choices of bass stuff out there. Indeed, some of our stores have the Eden products, and they're damn fine stuff. We do have some places offering Aguilar (in stock), and ABC Music Center has Accugroove... which shocked my world... after the fact, but that's another story!

I purchased a Bergantino NV215, but I did it after doing some research via the Internet. I decided to go with my gut, based upon what I had read, and had that sucker shipped all the way out here from Austin, Texas... Bass Emporium was the source. My jaws still pain me from smiling... but it's a good pain!

I've not had the fortune of hearing, or trying out a Schroeder. Quite simply... they aren't out here... neither are Ashdown products, Bergantinos, Trace Elliott's (I might be incorrect here...), but I could go on, and on, and on...

Lo-Freq, I'm sure, suggests a truly fine product with the Schroeder pic he posted, and I wish I could've had the chance to try one of them myself... they just ain't out here in How-why-ya... dammit!

I would like for you to check-out a Bergantino product. I'm a big-time lover of 15" drivers, so I would suggest the NV215. However, Jim's NV610 looks awfully damn fine, too. As some other TB'er have stated... "...too much gear, so little time..." and I was paraphrasing there. Bergantino has several other options, too.

Good luck, and happy hunting! :bassist:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My thoughts would be that any of Jim Bergantino's NV series cabs would serve you quite well.

Tom.