Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for $300 Price range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Hi, I'm ready to move out of the 15 watt practice amp combo to something more useful.
    I'm looking for an amp around $300-350, used or new.
    Which amp would you recommened?
    Certain ones that I've been researching are:
    Ampeg BA-115
    Ampeg B50R
    Ampeg B100R
    SWR Workingman 12/15

I'm wondering how much these go for used, and if you are selling them or not.

Thanks

2. I'm vaguely in the same boat, though $50 cheaper in range ($250-300). You won't find many of the ones you listed new in that range, so if warranty is crucial for you, (it is for me) that's a problem.

I settled on the Ashdown electric blue 12" ($280) or 15" ($300) as a solution; 180w and reputedly well made tho i haven't got mine yet. That's the most I would spend on a combo amp; once you break $350 you seem to be getting into the "why use a combo?" price range, especially if you can live with a head like the new Behringer for $200 at various online stores. Sure that doesn't leave so much for a cab but surely you can fins a single 12" version somewhere used for $150. You'd have a new, warrantied head (which is the part that breaks), and you could always upgrade your equipment in smaller steps that way.