Amp for a Ken Smith Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ezekial1, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ezekial1

ezekial1 Guest

Apr 21, 2004
    Hey everyone

I just got a new BSR 6EG Ken Smith bass and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions to what bass rig I should get for it :bassist:
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Bro you could get a Hog Nose and that bass will still slam!

Great find man!

Maybe Mr. Smith himself has a suggestion?

3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i was gonna say the same thing bustin' said...that bass will sound good thru anything !
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Since you are looking more for an amp here, I am retitling your thread and moving it to amps.
  5. i played one of those at corner music in nashville...I played it through Aguilar,Eden,Ampeg SVT4,and a few other be honest, it sounded best through just a cheap Ampeg 350h (i think it was like 600 bucks)

it just handled the bass best sonicly to my ears.
  6. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Some amp that sounds great flat.
  7. At one time I owned a BR5M (I think that was the model) and as I recall it had a rather "woody" tone that people either loved or well didn't love. At that time I was playing mostly cover music in a bar band and the tone was a little too polite for me. Ken goes to great lengths to make his instruments have that smooth, organic tone. So what you want is an amp that is going to reproduce the sound of your bass and not color the sound on its own. I'd start with a Jack Read pre-amp or Demeter pre-amp, as they are known for their uncolored tone. The power amp isn't as critical so just about any high quality power amp should do as long as it has enough headroom for the cab you choose. As for a cab, you want something that is kind of like a big studio monitor. Accugroove, EA, Epiphoni Acme, and Bergantino are sort of the flavor of the month these days but I’d also try Eden, SWR, and Aguilar just to see if you like the sound. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some other really good choices but I haven’t had the opportunity to try them.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I like to run my BT-4 straight into the PA (QSC RMX 2450).
    I think it sounds great like that, but it's only for lower volumes.
    I need more gain to really drive my rig.

I'm currently set up with a Warwick Quadrupplet. I can go from very tube to very dry. The BagEnds are great cabs too.

I use an Acacia 6 with Lane Poors, al passive. I get great tone from the rig using this too.

(Ir)regarless of the bass...if you're not sure of the sound you're shooting for, go with a Pre/PA set up. Don't go with a head or a combo.

If you are dissatified with the tone, you can easily and relatively cheaply move on to a different, or additional preamp.

After 25+ years playing, I still can't focus on a set-up that nails my sound...I guess we all evolve, and it's good to have a set up that can keep up with you.
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi ezekial1, that's a really nice bass, you'll probably want to get a really nice amp to do it justice. Depends on your musical needs, but to bring out the best in the bass from a tonal standpoint you could try something like a Walter Woods head (those are pricey but worth every penny, you can find the smaller ones like the MI-100 used on eBay in the 700 dollar range). If you get the Ultra, you'll have plenty of power, like 1200 watts into 4 ohms (although it's expensive, probably around two grand), but if you get the 100 watt version (which is actually pretty loud), you can always get more power with an external power amp. I used to run my MI-100 through a Stewart 2.1 if I needed more juice. These days I only use it in the studio, that line output is wonderful, it has "the" perfect sound for my purposes.

The other thought is, depending on the sound you're after, you could try a tube preamp. Those Smith's sound great through a tube rig. That would be a great combination, if you're willing to haul the weight.
  10. I've got to second what GreyBeard said. The Jack Read "Purity" preamp is a great tube preamp that would really let the voice of your Smith come out. Couple that with a good power amp, and you're all set. Jack will probably make you a deal on the "Purity" along with a Stewart 1.2 or 2.1.
  11. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I had a beautiful BMT Elite G. It was sweet but didn't do me. I read in BassPlayer about a studio bassist with a Smith who turned the bass and treble on the bass all the way up. In my case I also turned the mids off. WOW! I could keep my amp flat and WOW! Tone heaven. My fingers could do the talking and tone shaping.