Amp for a Spector Euro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MNScottMc, Feb 7, 2005.

1. MNScottMc

Feb 7, 2005
    :bassist: I love my Spector Euro 4 and am looking to upgrade my rig. My Ampeg BA-210 can't seem to cut through 2 guitars and the drummer. What do you think about Ampeg vs. Ashdown? I have some money burning and hole in my pocket - about $2000.

The Spector is pretty bright and I'm looking for some solid lows to play rawk music.

Any advice? :help:

Thanks from the frozen north.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh boy.....we can have some fun with $2000. These posts usually end with "and I have $400 to spend". :)

Are you looking to stay with a combo, or are you willing to go with seperates?

3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    IMHO, for 'rock' with a Spector... you can't go wrong with either:

1) Ampeg SVT Head & 8x10 Cab
    2) Mesa/Boogie 400+ Head & 2x15 Cab
    3) Tech21 Landmark 600 Head & your choice of cabs...

:) :bassist:
  4. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    My Spector Euro 5 sounds awesome through my Mesa Walkabout Scout. I use the 1-12 Scout and the 1-12 Scout extension cab and it sounds much better than my Ampeg SVT Pro 3 w/410. If you need more beef then that check out more powerful Mesa's as I bet they will sound great as well.
  5. $2K really gives you many options! A pre/power rack is a cool choice because of the options and flexibilty. For big rock, I'm now using a Goliath III with this rack or just adding the Goliath III with these cabs...

It's also cool, IMO, to be able to use the same rack with just one (or 2) of the Aguilars. :bassist:
  6. MNScottMc

Feb 7, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies. This is a great forum (I'm new here). To answer one question, I am definitely interested in separates. Being able to make a couple of trips with less weight appeals to me. :)

OCB - That is an awesome Aguilar setup. What are the cabs (I can't quite tell from the pic)? And I thought my Spector was gorgeous.......

Does anyone have any experience pairing the Spector with Ashdown?

Thanks for your help.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Either go Mesa, or go with an Ampeg head with Eden cabs.

Either way, you win.
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I play my NS2000/5s through a Mag 200W combo, 1x12 internal and 1x15 extension cab. To give you an idea of how much I love this, the EQ on the bass, and amp, are flat. ;)

9. Thanks! Those are the GS112's.
  10. MNScottMc

Feb 7, 2005
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My Eden stuff serves me well. I have WT800, 210XLT and 215XLT and a multi-tude of Spectors and it sounds killer with each one.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Just like the fella above me, I played my Spector through an Eden rig. I went with a Metrocombo for a bit, then I had it running to a 410XLT and a couple different Eden amps.

It always sounded just right to me. I can honestly say I never had an issues with my tone in any of those rigs.

13. MNScottMc

Feb 7, 2005
    Thanks to everyone that weighed in. I appreciate it!

14. Yup, I have a Spector NS5CR (the Euro 5 string of 4-5 years ago) and a REX2000/5 - Korean built version of the Rex Bown Sig series (also a 5 string).

Amp wise I have an Electric Blue 130 (combo with 15" speaker) and an ABM 500 EVO head with Ashdown Mini48 and Mini15 cabinets.

Sounds really good, and is highly portable! Went the Ashdown way after developing back troubles and my Trace Elliot Rig (AH500 with 4 x 10 and 1 x 15) became too big and cumbersome for me to move without risking more back troubles!

Definitely if you get the chance try Ashdown gear out with a Spector (or any bass for that matter) - I'm well impressed!
  15. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    You could do what i did but do it better...
    Get the new WT-800 head (run it bridged at 4 ohms giving you 1000 watts) then go buy an Ampeg PR-410HLF (600 watts rms 1200 watts program handleing) then you have the most rocking amp for lows and highs! Im very happy with my amp and i dont even think its the new WT-800, wish it was :scowl:

OH yeah!! I have a spector Euro 4 and it plays sooooo good with this set up!!!!!
  16. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    check out swr. i have no trouble cutting through with a 160 watt head and goliath II. good clean sound, lots of low end, plus i really dig the looks of swr stuff.