Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for an F# String

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kraig99, Apr 19, 2002.

1. How powerful an amp/rig would I need to get a good sound with a low F# string? Any reccomendations as far as speaker size and power go?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Its not so much the size of the speaker.A good 15 is kool.but you will have to use at least 4 10s.but your main focus is how mich power you amp is pushing.the better the headroom,the better the sound quality of the Low F#.there's other methods but these two are the basics,that you can grow from.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What I meant by saying you can use 4 10s is its an option to the use of a 15.

4. You are going to need true subwoofers that reach down to 23 Hz. They will be inefficient by design and consume large amounts of power.

Two 15" will be just adequate, and I'd recommend four if you want to make any real amount of noise.

My two 1x15 subs are adequate for a loud bar gig, and they were redlined when my daughter's bassist played them in a high school gym. They did the job, but the amp was hitting the clipping LED regularly. The pair were being fed 1200 watts total into a 4-ohm load.

I'm getting ready to add two more for a total of four 1x15 subs.