Amp for Ashdown 8x10" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Epstein, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Brian Epstein

Brian Epstein

Sep 20, 2021
    long time listener, first time caller: A few years ago the Audio company I worked for cleared out the Key Club (Hollywood) and consigned us to sell everything. PA, backline, lighting, acoustic treatments etc. I worked overtime for a month to take home an old Ashdown 8x10 head and ABM500 that was part of the deal. I reconditioned the cabinet and linexed it, replaced the corners, casters, powder coated the grill and pull handle etc. The Head seemed a bit weak for this huge cab so I sold it, only to hasve to move in to an apartment where I definitely wasn't going to playing this thing so it sat at work under a tarp for 6 years..

Now I own a house and my nextdoor neighbor is Rick Steier (kingdom come, warrant)
    So naturally, I can play pretty damn loud (because he's obviously deaf) jk. My mosfet Hartke 3500 2x10 combo is cool and great for a lot of things but I'd like to build a proper gig rig. Was thinking EVO 1200, but they're still kind of pricey. Saw an immaculate GB750 with power cond, foot pedal and rack for $575 and thought it might drive this cab decently. I play mostly funk, disco, jazz etc. so looking for something that has some pop and crispness but can still pump some thunderous lows. Any suggestions for reliable, good-sounding amps under $600 I could adequately drive this cab?
    Thanks!

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you don't mind going the used route, a GK 1001 RB should get the job done for under $600.

Brian Epstein likes this.
  3. That GB amp would probly be great thru the cab.
    I'd go all tube with either Orange AD200B or Fender Super Bassman or SVT-VR
    Depends on your tastes, needs e.t.c

4. Brian Epstein

Brian Epstein

Sep 20, 2021
    RodL2005: an Orange for under $600???

5. Aaahhhh, perhaps not in the USA. I got mine for not much more than that, here in Australia

Brian Epstein likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022