1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for bedroom practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by w33nie, Oct 5, 2008.

1. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    I'm saving for a new bass, and would like to upgrade from my starter kit amp. what sounds good and isn't too big? I don't think I need 100 watts with a 15 inch speaker yet. And If I buy used I can get something over 50 watts.

right now the best choice seems to be the acoustic b20, i read that it sounds good. but would it be better to go used and get something bigger?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You can NEVER beat Peavey for the price used. Reliable, solid amps.

3. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

I agree that used is probably the best route, provided that you find an amp in good condition.

If you do choose to buy new, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Acoustic B20. It's what I have in my bedroom for a practice amp and I'm completely happy with it. Wait for a GC sale as they typically price the B20 at 120 instead of 150 during any of their 'sales events.'

4. If it's just for bedroom practice which means you want it to be audible but not ear-bleeding, my recommendation is something that I am using as we speak...Peavey MAXBass 110.

It's only $150 new, it's got better tonal options (IMO) than the acoustic does and it's pretty light too. You got the modern (clean, transparent sound) tone and the vintage (tube emulation, a little more thick and fat sounding) tone settings on it along with a 3 band EQ and a gain knob. It's only 20watts, but I could hear myself over the drummer at Praise Team rehearsal.

I've cranked it to the max before, no problems at all. I now use it with an active SR500 with the same results. I've heard people play 5'ers through it and they come out sounding just fine. It handles effects quite well too, my GT-6B sounds great even when i just plug straight to the input. It's really a good amp, and the warranty through musiciansfriend.com is about $10 or so for 2 years so you can't beat that with an aged tonewood stick :D

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I have a 30watt tube amp/1x15 combo for home practice. 20watts should be fine just for home use.

+1 for used Peavey equipment.

6. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    cool, tell me more about the tube emulation

7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Features of the B20 bass combo amp from Acoustic

Dual 1/4" input jacks
    Stereo 1/8" Line-in
    headphone jack

Nice to have the headphone jack.

8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Peavey MAX 110 Bass Combo Specifications:

* Dimensions
    * 15-1/4"W x 17-1/2"H x 11-1/4"D

Weight
    * 28.2 lbs. (Unpacked)

* 20W RMS
    * 10" speaker
    * DDT speaker protection
    * Gain control
    * Max/Modern/Vintage voicing switch with patented TransTube tube emulation circuitry
    * Low, Mid, Mid Shift and High semi-parametric EQ
    * Post-EQ effects loop
    * CD input
    * Master volume control
    * Tuned, ported enclosure with exclusive dual
    * Headphone jack

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

Creative EQ'ing really at the flip of a switch.

10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Don't know where you're located but in Los Angeles area, here's a sample of what's for sale on Craigslist.org.

Seems like a great practice/small gig amp for a reasonable price.

Peavey TNT 130 Bass or Guitar Amp - $125 (Glendale, CA)
    Reply to: sale-867584999@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-10-05, 2:12PM PDT

130 Watt solid state amp with 1x15" speaker and a 3" tweeter/horn for pop and slap in a close cabinet.

Can be used as either guitar or bass amp or both at the same time.

2 input jacks for Hi or Low gain.

2 knobs for Pre-amp (pull for bright)and Post-amp (pull for punch).

6 knobs for Active EQ: Low,Mid,Hi,Shift,Bandwidth & Presence.

2 jacks for Hi & Low Crossover output and 1 control knob.

2 jacks for power-amp in (or effects) & pre-amp out.

Built in compressor, All knobs have been replaced because 3 of them were missing during the move. Only play a little at home. Very good shape and working condition. Extremely loud and warm.

11. basically, but for those who are lazy while playing at home (guilty as charged) it's a neat feature to have. Don't expect it to sound like a Sansamp RBI or anything, but it's not like they charge you extra for it or anything :)

12. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Actually, yes I do live in los angeles, but don't know if i need 130. should i just get something big incase i join a band?

13. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    how are the ibanez soundwave 65's compared to the peaveys? i found a great deal, the ibanez + a mim jazz

14. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The acoustic deals are pretty hard to beat now but I'd suggest checking out a Peavey Basic112. They pop up now and then used. You're in the middle ground where a step up from your beginner practice amp is still a step down from what you'd need to join a band. It's better to have a little more than you need and turn it down a little than to be caught giving it all you have and it still not being enough. The basic 112's are nice little amp though, it will rock your house. 100-200 watts and a 15 will play your garage practice sessions or your local small bar gig though.

16. get ready for a shameless plug.

What about a Workingman's 10 combo? (as for sale in my sig) Great for practice/recording, and if you want to start playing with a drummer, just get an 8 ohm cabinet to use as an extension cab.

17. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    210 is more than im willing to spend

18. I'd recommend grabbing a used Peavey like the one on CL. You can always find use for an amp that is larger - it will grow with you, so to speak. When you do want to increase your volume, or play outside of the bedroom, you'll already have the amp. Otherwise you'd spend $$ now on a small amp with limited applications, then spend money again on a 2nd amp to play out with.

19. I use my gigging rig for bedroom practice just because it sounds so good. I've got a Peavey TNT115, it's 200 watts which would be perfect, but I paid good money for my main rig so I'm going to use it every chance I get. Here it is Carvin BX1200 w/BRX10.4 Neo cab @ 4ohms, 1,200 watts rms -
    102_0028.

20. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

Here are some of my thoughts as I've continued to follow the thread:

The Peavey MAX 110 is a nice amp. I compared it, side-by-side, to the B20 when I made my purchase and it was really a toss up. That being the case, the B20 was less expensive and I like the 12" speaker and clean tone, so I got the B20. I say all that to say that the MAX 110 is a nice option too. In my opinion, the aforementioned 'feature' to switch between clean/modern sound and vintage is practically useless on this amp but, still, it has a nice sound overall.

Also, I would not buy an Ibanez practice amp. That, too, is just one man's view but I do believe you'll fare much better with a Peavey or Acoustic. If you are shopping used, in your local market, you may find a good deal on any number of good brands/amps so I wouldn't be quick to settle for a cheap amp.