1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for Berg NV610t?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrentB, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I'm currently using an Ampeg SVT7-Pro with my Berg NV610t. I'm wondering what heads play well with this cab. Am I leaving anything on the table using a midrange head with what I consider a high end cab?

I'm fairly happy with the tone from the Ampeg but I've read that they are underpowered and we all know about the reliability issues. I'm playing a P with flats and a Jazz with rounds in a loud rock cover band. I'd love to run an all tube head with the cab, maybe a SVT CL or Fender Super Bassman. The weight and cost are concerning but I won't rule them out.

I've also got the Subway amp and cabs for home use and smaller gigs, although haven't played out with this set up yet. I've used the Subway head with the NV610 at rehearsal and was underwhelmed by the combination. It sounds great with the Subway cabs though.

Any suggestions on what amp to pair with the Berg for best results?

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I would be shooting for an all tube amp as you say, since that is what the NV series is designed for. I used to own an NV61o, it sounded superb with both the SVT VR and the Orange AD200 I was using at the time.

3. I agree a tube head would be awesome, I run a Super Bassman into a NV412, but a great lightweight option would be a tech 21 RPM pre into a lightweight class D power amp. I have done this into my NV412 and loved it. I spied an RPM in the classifieds yesterday.

4. ChefKen

ChefKen Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Crest CA 9

arbitrary likes this.
  5. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I figured an all tube head would be best. I guess I'll start researching those.

I've never gone the power amp and separate pre route before but I'll look into that as well. Does the RPM provide that tube grind and warmth?

Rocksolid likes this.
  6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have an NV610 (no T), and it sounds fabulous with my Walkabout as well as an old Ampeg V-4B. I haven't heard that the 7-Pro is underpowered, I would think that combo would be crushingly loud when the amp is cranked.

That said, I agree with the advice to go all-tube if you're willing to do so.

One Drop and kosmicwizard like this.
  7. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I think I read here somewhere that the 7-Pro tested at around 700 watts rather than the stated 1000 watts. No big deal though because it does get really loud.

Now the question is, which tube head? Ampeg vs. Fender vs. Orange vs. Mesa, etc?

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I run my NV610 with 3 different amps; Walkabout, Fender Studio, SVT 6Pro and it sounds great with all of them. Great sealed cab punch.
    I'd have to say that the all tube Fender sounds best to my ears, with the Walkabout coming in a close second, rounding out with the 6pro.
    For total volume and high power crunch, the 6Pro wins, but it delivers 1100w @ 4ohms vs the other 2 at 200w and 300w respectively.
    I rarely need such volume though, other than the rare outdoor stage with no FoH for bass, so the smaller amps work fine for my purposes.

on edit: the only amp I own that does not work so well with the NV610 is an Ampeg PF500.
    I like the PF500 fine with its own sealed HE115, but for what ever reason, its qualities don't work great with the NV610.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    All tube fo sho. Super Bassman or Ampeg SVT

One Drop likes this.
  10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I wonder how a Streamliner 900 would work? I love that head with a pair of Berg HS210's, but not so much with a CN212. The SL does cop a tube vibe pretty solidly.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  11. It certainly does. I have a VT Bass Deluxe as well, I love it, but I think the tube simulation that the RPM does is better. The sweepable mids make it very versatile.

12. I would think it would be hard to find a head that wouldn't sound good through that cab.

Ampeg SVT or similar would be pretty cool, though.

TalHaz likes this.
  13. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be checking out some YouTube reviews tonight.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    My big rig for quite a while was a TE Hexavalve into the NV610. Believe it or not, I sold my two Hexavalves and gigged for quite a while with the GB Shuttle 9.0 sitting on the NV610. No doubt any high quality tube amp on the NV610 is cat's pajamas. But, you would be amazed at how the little Shuttle cranked through that cab. Most surprising. Honestly, today, I would be strongly tempted to check out the Berg B|Amp with the NV610. I know it goes against the traditional tube amp concept; but, I bet it rocks.

15. so tuff

so tuff

Sep 10, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa.
    All the amps mentioned work well! Bergs B amp does it well also! Tubes/P bass ....bass Mecca!

PawleeP and spaz21387 like this.
  16. lo fi

lo fi

Mar 12, 2015
    I run a Reeves 225 into mine and boy o boy, it sounds like they were made for each other.

17. Listing all tube amps with more than 175 Watts ... Fender studiobass, sunn/fender 300T, fender super bassman 300. Listed in order of release date only. Also consider ampeg svt, svt-ll, svt 2pro, svt-cl, svt-vr, or heritage svt-cl. Mesa d-180, buster, 400, or 400+. Traynor YBA200 or completely different but also good YBA300. The 200 watt and 300 watt Peavey heads (can't remember the name of the top of my head). Marshall 400 tube watt monster! Orange 200B, Trace-Elliot hexavalve or octavalve. Also, would love to hear this cab with either the Aguilar 750 or 751, but that head doesn't have a tube power section. All the best to you in your tonal goals! Cheers.

18. I don't really recommend going with a SS pre into a power amp, however the Ampeg SVP-CL, Fender TBP-1 and even Demeter HBP-1 are great all tube pre-amps that will give you a heftyness or even 3 dimensionality that no SS pre can deliver according to my ears. I love my Ampeg SVT-DI, and often want to hear the Reddi red brick DI ... One can get pretty carried away with high end mic pres and studio equipment like the UA1176 as a pre into an all tube power section like the Mesa 400 power section i played through at Long and McQuaid before i bought my Mesa 400 head and like the Ampeg SVT 300 (rack mountable power section only of the SVT-ll, which can also be mated with what i think is called the SVT-llp pre-amp). Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    It's a great combo.
    image.

jdubbass38, TalHaz, One Drop and 4 others like this.
  20. Missile Blast

Missile Blast

Aug 21, 2009
    Seattle
    Oh, snapadoodle Dandy!
    That's a beautiful sight!