1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP for both - Bass & Guitar under $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nikolozj, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi TB!

I was wondering if there's any SOLID STATE bass combo that would work for both instruments and would be under 500...

Has anyone experimented ever with today's popular bass combos?

Any ideas?

2. What kind of bass and guitar tones are you looking for? Any size, weight, or wattage considerations?
    I can't really suggest a combo, but I will say that all the Tech 21/Sansamp stuff I've tried works great on bass and guitar- SBDI, Classic, VT bass...

3. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Bassist / guitarist at a local hotel plays with an Acoustic B200mkII 200W Bass Combo Amp. Both bass and guitar are Carvins. Group has quiet drummer, female vocalist, and baby grand piano. Normal hotel lobby with maybe a 16' ceiling and lots of drapes and carpets. The guitar gets through OK with the few pedals he uses. The bass not so much but the upper mids carry the room fine. I think that rig might be $400 or so.

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

My PF-500 works great for bass or guitar. I get the best clean tones with my Strats of any amps I own. An Ampeg combo should work great for guitar or bass. The boost/cut baxandall tone controls work great with either.

5. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    I guess I should have written more specifics:

Well, nothing smaller than 12" and bigger than 15", single driver combo would be something I'm looking for. Solid state.

I heard that Henriksen Jazz amps are nice, but they waaay out of my budget.
    So I'm looking for something similar but the "budget" option.

Has anyone tried guitar on Roland Bass Cubes?

I guess I'd probably go out in guitar store and experiment, but it's nice to hear opinions while sitting at home :D

6. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    There are lots of vintage SS combos that would work decently, contingent on the speaker. Most of the old Acoustic Control Corp, Yamaha G-series and old (orange-drip-era) Randalls I've tried from the 70s work just great for bass or guitar, and the differences between the schematics of their respective bass and guitar preamp circuits are often pretty minute. (Fairly true of non-master-volume tube amps of the era as well, of course...)

It's largely about the speaker... you will want to look for something sealed-box (or at least not open-back) with something like an old Eminence / JBL / Black Widow / blah which can do low end passably, but doesn't sound too harsh / icepicky / hi-fi with guitar.

Naturally, to handle guitar on these older clean machines and/or especially with a head / amp ostensibly "only" for bass, you will likely need to provide your own dirt up front. The good news is that they tend to be very pedal friendly.

I imagine someone may throw Polytone out there too, but I've personally never been much of a fan.

7. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    ...One other option is to find a bass combo with an effects loop and use a guitar preamp of some kind in the loop when playing guitar through the amp. Again, even though this approach totally bypasses the "bass-tuned" part of the circuit, it is still contingent upon the speaker being a halfway suitable performer for guitar as well.

There are lots of fairly cheap preamp options out there, from used Pods to SansAmps / clones to forgotten rack or even floor-pedal tube units. The only thing you'll be "missing" is the lauded power tube breakup, which most guitarists don't use nearly as much as they'd like to believe they do, and/or which you won't get with an SS amp anyway.

8. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    I tried two telecasters in Ampeg BA110 today. One single coil and other - humbucker. Both sounded really sweet. I compared it to Roland Cube 40 guitar amp. The difference I noticed was that in Roland Cube it sounded more "flatter"... Ampeg was delivering fatter and warmer sound with rich lows but still enough highs for let's say... jazz.
    I messed around with Ampeg's built in EQ and I could get the sounds I want. If you turn down bass let's say at 9 o clock, It will become flatter... If you turn up treble it will deliver brighter tone but it's not gonna be needles in your ears which I don't like anyway...

After playing for a while I stopped and said to the salesguy:
    "This actually sounds OKAY!!!"
    And he was like.. Yeah I have some friends who use bass amps for guitar and bass as well...

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I tried guitars through both Carvin and GK combos with really good results. They both share a musical clarity which bodes well for instruments and even keyboards.

I would pick a 210 combo from either GK or Carvin.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Choose the bass combo that serves you well for bass and then add something like a Behringer V-Amp2 modeler for guitar processing. The guitar speaker emulation in the modeler will tame the high end and protect the bass amp's tweeter (assuming it has one).

11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Peavey has a new combo out called the Peavey Vypyr II with a 12" speaker. It has two channels, can play both guitar and bass, and has programmable channels. You can even get a footswitch and turn on/off effects and switch between channels. The bass section has various Peavey and Trace Elliott simulations and the guitar of course your various brit/californian/tweed sounds. Give one a try!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/peavey-vypyr

12. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    +1 for vintage Acoustic Control Corp. amps. Many of them were intended to be used for both guitar and bass, like the 450 and 470. Plus, they usually can be had really cheap since most people have no idea what they are and how great they sound.

I once A/B'd a Marshall JMP halfstack and a Wampler Plexidrive>Acoustic 140 bass amp>Carvin 4x12 guitar cab. It was shocking how close the overdrive pedal into the solid state bass amp came to copping the JMP tone.

13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Now exactly what you're looking for, but I have a black 1969 Kustom Tuck 'n Roll rig with a dual purpose head. One channel has reverb, strength & intensity (tremolo) in addition to the normal controls - volume, bass, treble and bright switch, with 2 jacks for guitar. The other channel has the basics - volume, bass, treble and bright switch with 2 jacks, intended for bass guitar. Solid state 100 watts RMS with dual button foot switch. With this, you have both guitar and bass and can use both simultaneously or together. Cab is all original with 2x15 Jensen Special Design C15L speakers. These are somewhat middle of the road design for usage. Not totally a guitar speaker, but not totally a bass speaker. A very light rig for what it is. Can be had for less than your budget. Just putting something else out there for you. :cool:

14. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    My bass sounds incredible thru my Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo. I mean "really" good. I could use my bass thru this combo for small gigs, but anything larger, it will get lost.

I bet the Peavey Classic 100 head would get you there.