1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for both electric and upright bass

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Dennis Bender, Jan 24, 2017.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Thunderfunk!

Groove Doctor likes this.
  2. david_aa

david_aa

Feb 9, 2010
    Madrid - Spain
    I'm very happy using a Phil Jones Bass Cub. If you don't require much power, it's fantastic. Two independent channels, DI out...
    The low B is not powerful, but inteligible.

jleguy likes this.
  3. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I use an AI Focus series III for upright and EB, but really for EB it is very flat sounding, and I have trouble getting the right color sound using it for EB...don't get me wrong, the AI is just fine for EB, and it is my backup for EB gigs, just not terribly satisfying for me tonally for EB. The speaker you choose can help this. The Thunderfunk may get you what you need tonally for upright and EB...it is a very musical amplifier. I have an Eden WT550 I usually use for EB and it too is very musical sounding tonally, but I have yet to really try it out for upright. I love the idea of an amp or combo that can fit the bill for both upright and EB, but for now I've really bifurcated and use separate rigs for upright and EB, likely due to my own ignorance, but mainly because on ability to shape tone, especially for EB. I guess I am still learning how to deal with upright amplification, but for now my PJB bass cub and Double 4 plus running in a PA when I can really do it for me for upright, and they are great for practice on EB at home. The PJB combos would not cut it, even with PA support, for EB gigs, and I find tonally they are like the AI for EB.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    I have doubled with an SWR baby blue (not sure if they are still making new ones) and a bass bone tone bone.

I had tried a simple a/b switch but found the volume output levels from upright/electric varied too widely for a simple switch. the bass bone has been great.

5. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    Hey Peter, how do you like the JDV for doubling gigs? are you using it with a full circle? I am looking for an alternative to Bassbone V2 that have variable impedance for the full circle as well as a phantom power input to use mics.thanks

6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I use a planet wing pickup on my kolstein travel bass and i have an Fdeck HPF Velcro to my tail piece. Lives on there full time.

The JDV is a nice solution for no amp gigs I can gain match for easy switching and if I want to get fancy I throw my Vintage Microtubes pedal in front of the EB.

My best solution is Jule Monique on top of an AI Focus. I run DB directly into the Focus and Monique into the effects return of the other channel for EB.

If I don’t mind using a single cable and unplugging from DB to EB I will run both into Monique into a Bergantino IP112 and add a second cab when necessary. My favorite if there is no FOH.

I also really like the acme Motown DI. Both instruments direct and swap cables. This is the simplest.

The JDV is my least favorite of some really good options. But still very nice.

The key to all this is the fdeck living on my DB

0F058927-2682-4E37-9B1A-5071B9558A18.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    AgostoMortal likes this.
  7. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    Thanks man, I do use the Fdeck as well. Using the Monique into the focus is a great idea too.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  8. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I have an AI Focus 2 series III...very uncolored in sound. It works for electric but has a very dry sound. AI is much more suited to amplifying acoustic instruments with its preamp...use a different preamp to get the color you want on electric through an AI.

Groove Doctor and peterpalmieri like this.
  9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    The really great low cost option is a Darkglass vintage Microtubes.