Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for church AND club gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BertBert, Nov 1, 2003.

1. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I've been playing through a 100W Crate 1x15 combo for a few years, and I am looking to upgrade. (The Crate is OK, but just not enough power or sonic clarity for what I am needing these days.) I'm looking for either a higher-end combo or a cabinet system that will work in two somewhat different situations:

1. A church worship band where I am onstage with piano, 1-2 guitars, drums, and 5-6 vocalists and running through a fairly massive house PA; and

2. Gigs with a 3-piece rock/funk/blues band that plays coffeehouses, church gatherings, parties, outdoor festivals, etc.

I've been reading the thread on church band setups elsewhere on the forums, and most people there are happy with a 300-400W head and a 4x10 or even just a 2x10. But I wonder if that would be enough for the gigs with my 3-piece band. A 300-500W head with a 4x10 and a 1x15 would be great, but obviously a greater expense than just the head + 4x10's. Any thoughts on what kind of setup would serve both purposes well?

2. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I play in church, too, with a full band including acoustic drums. We don't use a PA for the instruments, only the singers (teen choir).

I use a Peavey Basic-112 with a Tech 21 Bass DI. Since you use a PA, I would suggest using the DI (this one's great!) to go to the PA and using your amp or a smaller one as a stage amp. This DI has lots of tone settings for modeling. It will free you from schlepping a monster rig back and forth.

Good luck.

Guy

3. I occasionally play in church. I use a ampeg B2r (350@8 ohms) head and seems your like me at one time. yes I thought about the two cab setup with a 410 and 115 . But the cost yea..... me also. I got a 210 and a 115 Avatar and couldn't be happier. I do prefer a two cab setup as to a 410.... Just me I do think it has a broader tone and love the idea of taking the cab I need or both. The B2r has a pre and post eq . So it is really flexible for the churches mixing board.
    And well. it is an ampeg. nothing I've heard comes close to tone in the 350 watt range. In church I like it solid and low with a bite in the mids when I need it. I bought the b2r used at $330 on ebay and the Avatar cabs new for for a little over $600. I love my setup and can't see another way to get better for $1000 dollars.
    Outside of church? I'm happy with this setup. I crank it up and play easily with a full band and still have headroom on the amp. The Avatars are front ported So I don't think outdoors sound would be a problem . I never did that so can't really say. But the venues you mentioned I am really happy with the perfomance. My nephew has played a couple of times with my setup in his gymnasium at school with a full brass section and drums (I mean full like 30! ) Yea thing still rocked loud and hard. Hope this post was informative to you . keep us posted what you decide.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, I'd put my 240 watt GK up against that '350' watt Ampeg any day for volume -and- tone. I did a side by side test with my head and the SVT-3pro, through a SWR Goliath Jr 4 ohm, and the GK was louder by a little bit. For being 110 watts less, this is an accomplishment. Plus, in my opinion, the tone on the GK is to die for.

Regarding the ports...

This has been beaten to death several times. It doesn't matter where the port is! Low frequencies are omni-directional, which means as soon as they get through the port, the go in all directions relatively equally. A port is not a speaker; it does not throw sound in one primary direction.

Back to the original post, I'd recommend a Gallien Krueger 400RB head with a 2x12, or maybe (2) 1x12 setup.

5. I have never played a Gk. I'd like to someday. I have been to every music store around my town for 30 miles and no one had one to try at the time I was looking for a head. I"m sure there is louder but that is not my really a main factor for me. I do know it is not max volume than I need. I look for tone , depth and value for my money. I personally like the Ampeg tone. And if you like a tube sound in a solid state the Ampeg solid state heads are the closest to it.

I am aware of the sound projection on a bass cab and I agree with you . But I was refering to playing outside. I do feel front porting is beneficial outdoors for projection. But like I said I never played outside. I stated this as only an opinion. I only mentioned about the front porting because the original post mentioned about being able to sound good playing outside.

Amps have a certain trademark tone . just like guitars... say a fender precision as compared to an ernie ball stingray. And both a really good basses They do sound differant. Amps do the same. I like gospel , Blues and some southern rock. for me the Ampeg sound is unbeatable. The best tone I've ever heard was from a warwick bass and svt ampeg, 410 and 115 ampeg cabs. but..... at about $4000 no way I can do that. I think my $1000 setup is darn close for that tone. Besides the crowd couldn't tell the differance anyway. why spend it? Oh I'm way off topic . In summary amps have differant sounds just depends on what you think of as the ultimate tone. And how important maximum volume is. To me it is not that important. Most all places medium to large would have in house systems anyways.

6. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    I too use a crate bx 100 for playing in church and in a gig. It is a good combo but doesn's have enough clean volume for higher settings. Just farts a lot. And gets lost in the mix. I play with two guitars and a heavy handed drummer. The avatar 210 & 115 is a good idea. The head would be up to you. Different heads have different sounds. Most church bassist in my area are in love with peavey. Big sound. I would also try the workingman's 4004 setup. (210 & 115) for portability. They are lightweight. Although the sound may not be to your likeing. I play gospel but it is more blues gospel so I like the tone of the ampeg. but i like the clear swr sound.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I used to use that 4004 set up mentioned above...but found the 1x15T lacking in clarity. So I now use a Goliath III at 4 ohms instead of the 2x10/1x15 set up. Both the members of my music ministry team and the bands I've been working with lately reacted favourably to the switch. I'm making less trips with the one cabinet, and I'm getting a nice tone with plenty of low end as well! If I need to be in the PA then I throw an Audix D4 or an SM57 on the cab...the DI on the 4004 is pre EQ, so that doesn't work for me...but I digress...

...if you're able to, try different configurations and see what works best for you!

8. skygazer

skygazer

Mar 5, 2007
    IIRC, my B2R is 350W @ 4 ohms, 200W @ 8 ohms. Could this explain the difference with the GK?

Edit: Oops! I just read the date on the last post... sorry for raising the dead!

9. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    I suggest that you go modular. Something that does ~300 watts at 8 ohms, and around ~500 watts at 4 ohms. Then get a couple of 112 cabs that you like. I think it's the ideal setup for people who need a small rig and a big rig. I would NOT recommend getting a 410, althouth you might very well like having just a 410. That's a heck of a cab to move around for small things though. A 210 is okay, but it's still big for a small rig, and it's not always enough for the larger things. Dual 210's can be nice however, but I prefer the thickness of a good pair of 12's.

10. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I do some church gigs too.. The ones i do use Inear monitors 100% of the time so i bring my REDDI tube DI..
    But if i had to bring an amp it would be the new genz benz Shuttle 6.0 real light and killer sound.. I just saw it at NAMM last week and i am getting one.. just killer

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Hang the expense and get the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" combo and an extension cabinet to add for the really big gigs.

Other than that I'd go with the GK 700 or 1001 RB.

12. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

Eden WT 405 Time Traveler with Eden 210xst 4-ohm cabinet. 400 watts in this configuration, great reliable tone, excellent DI, portable cabinet tuned to handle low B. Cheers!

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    My gk neo 112 combo is all I need for church and for loud rock and blues type stuff. My drummer couldn't believe how loud the little combo was.

14. I have only owned 1 piece of Crate gear (BT350 head) and it is not very powerful for what it is rated. I would think that a 300-400 watt 1x15 or 2x10 combo from Yorkville/Trayner, Carvin, GK, Eden/Nemisis, Fender, or Peavey would more than do the job.

15. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    The thing that i like about the Genz Benz over other brands is the quality of the DI. honestly it compares right up there with a countryman 85 easily... and it is able to do POST or PRE EQ where some other brands like the eden is only POST EQ if i remember.. The eden sound great as does the GK... But what i like about the Genz is not only the sound fullness and fast punch in my big GBE1200 which is way overkill on a church gig.. but in the new shuttle has the same DI as the big brother and it is in the Tube loop if in POST eq...
    I heard the Shuttle at NAMM last week and it turned heads.. even eden people that were across the way hung their heads in shame.. i kid you not!... i dont like hype so i wont do it.. the shuttle 6.0 is 600 watts in a 3.75 pound package with a fast big sound... we could not believe it...
    I am getting one in a few weeks that will replace my other boutique amp on my fly to dates...
    I heard it through a 1x12 and an 8x10 too.. I really think this amp will be the next staple in great sounding lightweight amps.. Genz always seems to do their homework and listen to what the people (us) out in the field want and need and they deliver..
    dont take my word for it.. go and see for yourself.
    PS. the Genz customer service is the finest that i have ever experienced.. there is alot on this forum about their excelent customer service and that is why i went out and bought my GBE1200...
    enough with my rant..
    like i said i dont like hype.. when you are able try to hear that shuttle amp...

16. I play a mix of churches with PA support and some with less than adaquate PA support. I run a Peavey Bass Preamp into a 850 Watt Power Amp into a 2x15 cab, def not the most portable of setups... but it isnt too bad.