1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by with_joerg, Apr 3, 2018.

1. with_joerg

with_joerg

Sep 27, 2017
    I am looking for a good amp for a fretless bass. Was looking at the new Orange Crush 100 Bass. But I am not sure. Until now I use amp modelling software, i.e. Peavy Revalver 4 and I am reasonably hapy w some of the preset, but I am a bit tired of having to boot a laptop etc..

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Any amp that sounds great with a fretted will sound great with a fretless. The only real suggestion I can offer is to find something that sounds similar to the amps you are modelling.

3. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    In no particular order Quilter BB800, Genzler Magellan, Julie Monique 700...and I am sure there are more but those are the ones I have used and heard.

4. I love my Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo and NY151 Extention cab with my Fretless basses. Only effect a Sansamp programable bass driver.

anavar and SJan3 like this.
  5. Take fretless out of the title and start again.

ctmullins and Agosix like this.
  6. the question has more to do with the cab... in order to allow the mwah to speak out, you need a cab with a strong, vocal midrange. I'd check out the Genzler bass arrays and the Audiokinesis Hathors... maybe also the Greenboys or at a lower price range the 126 Avatar with the Faital woofer and the lower crossover.

Any current quality head will get you where you want to be with a good cab. I'd look at Genzler, Mesa, Bergantino, DNA, Trickfish in that order.

7. with_joerg

with_joerg

Sep 27, 2017
    Could I use a guitar amp and cab as well? I am thiking about VOX AC30H (sort of likethe built-in reverb) and VC212.
    I understand about getting things that are close to what I am usually modelling, but most of the amp model software is using code names and not real names. I think there is only one software around that has licensed the real names.

8. Yeah, nah, not if you want to play in a rock band.

9. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I’m with you on the orange direction... I’ll second your inclination.

10. The Terror

The Terror

Jun 29, 2017
    If you are looking for a lot of "mwah", boosting low mid-range frequencies can help.

IF that's what you're looking for...

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

is the fretless lined or unlined?

just kidding! :D you don't have to over think it: any amp you'd consider for any bass instrument will get you there! good luck on your amp quest! :thumbsup:

59jazz and tfer like this.
  12. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Fretless amps don't have number markings on any of the knobs.

Tina, Maxime1980, ziosensei and 4 others like this.
  13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    IME (35 yrs and counting), getting your fretless to sing for you is all about dialling in the mids. The amp brand or model is not so important, but a semi-parametric mid control is. As is a cabinet that does not boom out too much.

14. Chimps are like humans as bass amplification is like guitar amplification. A fretless blind chimp can still rip your arms off.

Bassbeater likes this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My six string is lined. When I ordered it, the thought of that blank expanse of Ebony scared me to death! :)

My speakers are Acme B2 2x10 three way. I drive them with a power amp that can supply up to 500W into each.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you're right, of course. but if you think about it: you're really only turning the mwah up and down. no need for 'lines' on the knobs. :laugh:

Bassbeater likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021