1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for giging.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper91, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ripper91

Ripper91

Jan 6, 2008
    I'm getting to the point where I need to start getting a rig together for playing live, I'm confused as to what sort of amp I will need am I better off buying a combo amp or a cab and head? And could any of you guys recomend me some gig worthy but affordable amps? (I'm still in school so I don't have a lot of cash :p)

Cheers

2. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    A cab and a head would make for a little more flexibility in the future.

A 4x10 or a 2x12 cab should handle most small-to-medium venues...anywhere bigger, a PA will take care of the rest.

A 300-500 watt head should do the job.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you don't mind the weight, Peavey gear is classically dirt cheap, built like tanks and completely usable tone-wise. GK heads are fairly cheap, and very conservative with their power ratings. Avatar cabs are absolutely awesome if you're on a budget, and they can take quite a bit of power thanks to those long-excursion Eminences they use.

Personally, when I was in your situation, I snapped up an old Peavey Mark VIII and B215 off of craigslist to the tune of $350 CDN, delivered to my apartment and all. Keep your eyes pealed, there are some awesome deals on the used market.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Hartke A70.
    Incredibly loud and affordable. Nice tone too. RCA input and graphic equalizer all in a small, easy to carry package.

[​IMG]

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Definitely a head and a cab - with some exceptions, combos are generally not something I'd bring to a gig simply because not many of them can compete with a drummer.

If your budget is tight, look into the following options. They're great for most genres, IMO, and will deliver the volume you need:

• Gallien-Krueger RB-II Series Heads (If you can afford a used 700RB-II, opt for that one)
    • GK NEO, SBX, and Goldline Series Cabinets (I'd highly recommend a used NEO 212 if you can find one!)
    • Peavey Heads and Cabs (not sure what to recommend, but I'm sure the Peavey fans can provide a nice range of recommendations)
    • Avatar B212 or B410 NEO Cabs (Cheap, loud, light, effective!)

If you find that GK gear works best for you, and you can't find any good used deals, try www.rmcaudio.com - they have the BEST prices on new GK gear, period!

6. Depends on what your budget and style is. I have been putting together a new rig too and have found that a preamp+power amp and some avatar cabs have been the most bang for my buck. It is also the most verstile. If you need more power you get a bigger power amp (or a second) and more cabs down the road. You can find some great deals on ebay and here on TB. I got a BBE bmax, Carvin DCM1000 (1000W bridged at 4-Ohm), and an avatar 2x12 all for under $800 shipped to my door. I got a 2x10 from Dave at avatar as well for another 300. If you don't need both channels of the power amp you can run the monitors, mains or the guitarists cabs with the other channel. A head and cab would be good too.

Just my thoughts.

CB

7. I have very little money to spend, but I just picked up a Hartke Transporter cab that has an 8ohm 15" 600 Watt Carvin in it. I dont' have a head yet, but I am looking.

I am playing through a combo now... I have a Behringer BHL1800A 180W with a 12" aluminum cone. It has served me well for the past year or so. I am having trouble getting past the guitars and drums over the PA.

I am looking at another Behringer head (450W) and the GK Backline 600. However, I am looking hard for a used amp that might be better.

Let me know what you end up doing.... I could use the advice :bassist: