Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp for guitar and bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    anyone know of a good amp that can be used for both guitar and bass and for a good price?

2. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    fender SF bassman 100 if you like a vintage sound

3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Kinda depends on the use, venue etc. A long time ago we had a B15 with a D-130. Worked darn good for bas and guitar. For guitar we used some pedals.
    I have seen a V-4 stack used for bass, it wasn't all bad.

I used to side gig using a bass DI box into a powered mixer woth a pair of fairly decent 3 way cabs. We had a guitarist who used several stomp boxes into the PA as well a a great keyboardist.

Grins,
    Wesley R.

4. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    just looking to do some recording/song writing at home so the volume element is not that important.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Roland Cube ain't too shabby...

I'm using one as a monitor at church as a compromise.

Lakland -> Cube -> SansAMP

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    take your guitar rig w/ you, but use a simple yet well made DI box for bass.

75% of the time, your bass is usually going thru the PA anyways, and you can use the monitors to hear yourself. also, the soundman will have an easier time to control it, thus making him happy, and you happy. :)

or you could go vintage, and use a simple Fender Bassman head w/ accompanying 2x15 cab. killer for guitar, great for bass. not that loud for bass, but it should do.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

What style guitar? Polytones are pretty cheap used and work well for both if clean guitar is your thing.

8. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    hard rock southern punk metal. i already have a 18" speaker, just need an amp to push it for bass and guitar. dont care much about the sound, just for writting/recording purpose at home.

9. you have an 18" speaker you're going to use for guitar AND bass... and you need an amp to power it?

i'm not sure i need to point this out... but you are going to have terrible tone with both instruments. so i say just buy the cheapest power amp you can find.... musiciansfriend sells a "GEM" power amp for like $99... that will probably satisfy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/481216/

10. Taynor bass mate almost any traynor bass mate. I personally have the what's known as the bass cube, the yba-2 that's like a box with a handle. Great warm bass sound and some killer guitar sounds to. They're also fairly cheap for vintage stuff. I know of a Guitar store that has a contact in Japan who buys any old traynor tube gear, and there is a reason why. It's really great sounding and reliable vintage gear for a reasonable price, and easily useable for both bass and guitar.

11. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i agree that the 18 probably isn't going to give you a decent sound for either, but a great "music" amp is the peavey century, or peavey musician. they were billed as "instrument amps" and i've successfully run guitar, bass and keys through one. i ran into a solid 4x12 cabinet, and each one sounded pretty good.

my thoughts...

12. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    See if you can round up a Traynor YBA-3. It will probably be inexpensive, if you find one at all. They're old.

13. or an ampeg V2.