Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for new Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CKtubass, Apr 25, 2003.

1. CKtubass

CKtubass

Apr 24, 2003
    Carrollton, TX
    I just bought a new bass for my son and I to learn on. We are both tuba players. We are totally new at this and a friend on here helped with choosing the bass.

I got an Essex SX SJB-75 from Rondo Music and paid $99.99 for it and want to know what is a good Bass amp for under $150 that will do a good job for in house or possible playing at church.

What brands?

What size speakers?

What good used amps are out there?

What is the largest size do you think I should stay under in used amps?

What amps should i stay away from?

Thanks in advance

2. For that price range...there isn't much out there. I used to have a Peavey TNT (150 or something). Heavy? Yes. Tone? Ok. Durability? Absolutely. You could probably find a used Peavey in your range. It would fit most of your needs. There are a lot of them used because they never die. It would also be loud enough for some playing out, especially with a PA present. Just buy a DI box (the whirlwind IMP is cheap, indestrucible, and passive), 2 decent cables and the Peavey and you can play almost anywhere.

Good luck.

ps. I'd avoid a lot of the so-called "practice amps." A 15 watt bass amp is going to be all but useless outside of practicing by yourself. 100 watts should be plenty for almost anything.

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This probably belongs in the Amps forum. ;)

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ditto on the above.......

i own a peavey that's over 25 yrs old and it's virtually indestructable. i've sold it and bought it back, bought other amps that were supposed to be comprable, and still use only the peavey. i believe they give the biggest bang for the buck.

if you want to use it in a group setting, as also recommended above, i wouldn't really go less than 100 watts, although if it's a real quiet acoustic type thing you MAY be able to get away with a little less. a 12 inch speaker would also be effiicient. anything with a 15 is gonna weigh a lot more, and anything less than 12 is going to start distorting real quickly if you give it any volume - at least in the $150 price range.

one last recommendation, although i'm not sure it applies to your situation. pignose amps makes an amp they call the "hog 30". i believe it costs $150. it's only 30 watts and has an 8" speaker. it's not quite loud enough to use with a group, but it keeps up real nicely with a couple of acoustic guitars. if you decide on getting a practice amp just for the house, i think this is a great investment cuz it can run on batteries, and it's really portable. it can be taken anywhere. i have one and i love it, i think it's one of the best investments i've made. if i had tiny amp around that i had to plug in all the time it would seem wasteful to me in comparison to this. at least it can serve several purposes, like being able to play on the beach.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with most of the statements that have been said so far about power and size. However, you will not commonly find a 100 watt combo for 150 bucks. You'll be well off to find a decent one at 250 to 300 bucks. Of course there are exceptions and everyone finds awesome deals now and then but don't count on it. 150 will most likely only get you a practice amp. I just scored a used but like-new Peavey Minx on Ebay for 80 bucks. That has 1 10" speaker and 35 watts. Great little amp for practice or playing in a quiet/acoustic setting. You might be able to score a Peavey Basic 112 (50 watts, 12" driver) for not TOO much more than 150 but you probably won't get anything like that for a flat 150.

As far as the cheap brands that are available out there I'd stay away from Crate, Laney, the pawn shop brand "Kona", Washburn ...that's all I can think of to avoid. Peavey's usually a good bet on limited funds. Scan some pawn shops and if you see something that looks like a good deal test it thoroughly and then bargain like you're going hungry. Best option is to save a bit more money and get something they can hear in the back row.

brad cook

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yes, it does... :D