1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp for newbie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Champion, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Champion

Champion

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi all,

I have been playing the bass for about a year on my 30W peavy Minx110 practice amp and looking to to get my first 'real' amp soon. I need some help on what I should be getting. At the moment I am looking at two options:

1) Ampeg Micro CL stack (new)
    2) Warwick 211 Pro (2nd hand) + an amp head e.g. Ampeg PF350

I don't need loudness at all. I usually just play at home or jam with friends (an acoustic guitar and a keyboard) in a small room. But I do want a nice tone and deep bass. And I would like to get something reliable, and I would be happy with as I develop my skills and get better.

I am confused with what I should be getting. Should I get a 15inch or 2x10 inch? Do I need one with a horn? The Peavy Minx110 is good but I find it lack a bit of the weight.

Thanks for your help!

2. Horns are a matter of taste and one you may not have developed a need for (some don't ever find the need). So horns should not be a part of the decision yet.
    Never heard or played a Warwick. The Micro CL seems to be a capable crossover practice small gig rig.
    210 or 115 in itself makes little difference. The cabs could put out the same amount of sound per watt with either and depending on the cab can sound deep and full or thin and whimpy. Your ears will have to be the judge there. They vary by manufacturer and manufacturer's product line.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    This ^^^

Your ears should be the guide. If lots of volume is not needed - you should be able to get a decent, portable rig for not a huge amount - especially used!

Check it out. If deep rich lows is what you want, a ported cab is a good idea - don't let the cone diameter distract - a great 212 will kill some 118's...

If you do get a cab or cabs with horns - try to get one with a deflatable horn or better yet an attenuable horn . . . depending on effects it may be worse than useless.

I'm arranging a 115 Barefaced cab ATM... http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact
    I hope it's worth the wait!

4. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I just helped my nephew get his first "real" amp and he decided to go with the ampeg PF 350. I gave him a cab that needed needed a ten inch speaker replaced in it. I think he ended up spending.......... $350-$375? for that he basically got a rig that is great for practice, but he can easily gig it with it. has a headphone out, Ipod in, wonderful tone, and he wont out grow for years. He is 15 and has played stand up for a few years in school. He got a crap electric and 15 watt amp last year and quickly out grew them. I explained that since he is hooked. He would be better off getting something that he could use more long term rather then a sub par combo that next year he will want to up grade again. I have seen so many of my friends buy and trade cheap gear over and over because they wont find something decent used for not that much more. My nephew was a bit reluctant at first but he has thanked me every time I have seen him since he got it. He plays more because he can jam along with his Ipod and not bother any, one and he loves the tone.

5. Champion

Champion

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks all for your help. I have tried out the Ampeg micro CL. I really lik the form factor (slim, compact, light) and I can see using it at home and taking it out for jamming. But I feel like it does not produce very deep bass compare to what I hear at my tutors home (I did not note down what he uses. May be the demo room is too big, or may be due to the sealed box. Which is why I think about getting the Warwick (but I don't have a chance to listen to it. But I think the Warwick is a bit to chunky and heavy to carry it with me for casual jamming ...

6. That PF350 has a ton of deep bass. $200 is a crazy price for that head. www.futureshop.ca

7. Champion

Champion

Jan 18, 2011
    Unfortunately, I am in New Zealand and cannot get the PF350 at such a good price.

By the way, it is possible to power hi-fi speakers with the bass amp such as the PF350? The reason I ask is I have a couple of unused Bose 301 speakers (with 8inch woofers) lying around and they are quite light. It would be great if I can carry them around with the PF350 for practicing.

8. Champion

Champion

Jan 18, 2011
    And also, would a big amp sound bad in a small room because it is not driven hard enough?

And what is an extension cab? Is it supposed to be used with something else? I looked at the Warwick 211 Pro and it says it is an extension cap for the WCA115.

Thanks.

9. An extension cab is a cab added to a combo, typically a 2x10 or 1x15 of the smalller variety.

Big amp has a volume knob. I would go as big as you can afford and carry, sooner or later you will want to play a gig.

Hifi speakers don't handle live bass guitar.