1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp for rockabilly double bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Custard cat, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    England
    Any rockabilly bass players out there,I need some advice please.I all ready have a fender rumble 40 v3,and i love the sound.I need volume now,will the fender rumble 500 combo give me that for band/group gigging in a rockabilly set up.I will have to order online as there are no shops near by.I use dirty gut strings and a k and k bass max pickup,no preamp.With my fender rumble 40 v3 i do not need a preamp.Do i need one with the rumble 500.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Max George likes this.
  2. Well you’re making a huge jump in wattage which will help with volume. It’s hard to say about needing a preamp or not. I would assume that both amps share the same input circuitry, so you may not have the need for a preamp.

Custard cat likes this.
  3. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I'm pretty sure the rumbles have 1MegaOHM inputs, so you should be able to just plug and play without a preamp BUT I would recommend getting one. I can plug my bass direct into my EA but it sounds better with a preamp. Also, I'd say get a clicky for your setup. It sounds strange but being able to eq the clicky with my dual channel is great. Plus you can mix how much click you want the audience to hear

As for power, I can't say. I've never had a rumble but a quick google search brings up plenty of talkbass threads with guys using them and I've run 500 watt amps in other bands and had it work fine with PA support. Going on the cheap, I'd go with GK but that's a matter of personal preference. I just don't like the sound of fender amps.

DonaldFraser and Custard cat like this.
  4. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    England
    Thanks for all the advice guys !

5. i think you should be just fine with the Rumble 500 combo. i use a K&K Bass Max and no preamp EVER. I totally do not believe that you need a preamp unless you have an older amp with a lower input impedance. i NEVER use a preamp. right now i'm running the K&K directly into my 200 watt Trace Elliot ELF, into either a single 2x10 cab, or with a Carvin 1x15 and i never have any problem keeping up with a loud guitarist and loud drummer. and i also never have any feedback problems which i attribute to the K&K with no preamp. the tone is loud and clear and i am completely happy with everything about it. the 2x10 is slightly louder but not alot. with the extra 300 watts you'll get from the 500 in combo with the 2x10, i think you should be pretty happy

Custard cat likes this.
  6. In my opinion, an EQ boost at around 4 or 5k is a better way to bring out the click. It sounds like it is coming out of the bass rather than sitting on top of it like a FB pickup. Fuller, "realer" sound to my ears. I removed mine years ago.

The biggest advantage of the FB pickup is the ability to add some slap back to it independently of the bass signal, but that is only relatively useful!

7. I've recently been amazed by how much more volume, depth and control a preamp provides, even though my amp'ing is pretty elementary and my preamp is getting to be old-tech (Fishman Pro-EQ II)...

That said, my piezo set (Vic's Pickups Model C) does work pretty nicely amped without a preamp and also DI'ed into our 500w PA, but with much less volume. Without the pre-amp I have to push the amp/mixer to quite near its capacity to produce acceptable volume. With the preamp I can keep up very nicely with basses that are made to be amped.

I also use SBW Dirty Gut (Deluxe) strings. My observation on my double bass is that as a set they are great for touch and tone, especially amped. The D and G strings are decent for volume and tension, but the E and A are pretty unclear, low tension and low volume. I've swapped the E and A out for Innovation SilverSlaps and have been much happier with the clarity, volume and tension of my E and A strings using this mix, both acoustically and amped. I'd still like more volume acoustically with an unmixed set of strings (maybe guts), but at this time this SilverSlap/Deluxe mix is providing the sufficient volume and clarity that I need.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    England
    I had that problem with volume on the E and A string of dirty guts,untill i swapped the pick up to the bass end of the bridge,now a balanced out put.

madbanjoman likes this.
  9. +1 for the GK

10. +1 for having a solid preamp system. I look at preamps in this way. It’s part of your toolkit. Your bass,strings, amps etc..are all part of your tool kit.
    I’d hate to suddenly have a need for a tool that I didn’t have.

11. Mmm, actually my bridge piezo was on the bass end of the bridge, and through the amp the dirty guts sounded great, well balanced. My problem with the SBW Deluxe E and A was for playing acoustically, without the amp.

Interestingly, when I moved to SilverSlaps E and A and played with the amp, I had to move the piezo to the treble side of the bridge, otherwise I got too much technique noise from the SliverSlaps. So with the SilverSlaps E and A, the SBW Deluxe D and G, the piezo moved, and using the Fishman preamp, I'm great when amped.

But yea, I'd still like more volume acoustically, those loud jams just swallow the bass. That said, I'm starting to get the impression that the only solution with loud jams is to be amped.

Custard cat likes this.
  12. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I thought mine was quiet too until I let another guy try my bass and stood about 20 feet away. Nice and thumpy

13. Gavin Ratcliffe

Gavin Ratcliffe

Mar 21, 2018
    Custard cat likes this.
  14. Gavin Ratcliffe

Gavin Ratcliffe

Mar 21, 2018
    Custard cat likes this.
  15. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    The rumble 500 will work, good bang for the buck, Fender didn't intend this to be used with a upright so there are no cut/notch filters to control feedback. No real DI out, a pre-amp can solve that. The effects are for a guitar and useless on piezo pickups. It also sounds great with an acoustic plugged in.

Gavin Ratcliffe likes this.
  16. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I use a Rumble 500. I’ve had better luck plugged straight in than with my Fishman. Just my take, don’t hesitate to try different things.

17. redwookie

redwookie Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Chicago
    IMHO, any cab and amp combo putting out 450-550 watts works. I use an EA Doubler 'cause I sometimes need to play slab with upright. GKs cabs are nice 'cause they often have tweeters which help with the high freq bump suggested by The Biz.

It kinda depends on what type of music you're making. For example, I only play a little rockabilly but I slap almost every week playing hot trad jazz. I have a couple Shadow Pros but I don't use the clicky at all. I tend to slap pretty hard in a sort-of beat-the-h@!!-out-of-it style which gives me plenty of slap volume for the music I'm doing. If I was playing entire sets of rockabilly, I might consider messing with my clicky...but maybe not.

18. Since I wrote about bridge piezo location and strings earlier in this thread in October, I've replaced all my bass's electronics. I got a K&K Dual Channel Pro ST pre-amp to replace my old mono Fishman, and on installing it, discovered my bass's very old Vic's Model C fingerboard pickup -- which I knowingly had never been able to hear before because I was using a mono amp chain -- wasn't working.

So I contacted the Model C maker, Zac Victor with the thought in mind that I'd just buy a new Model C because I like the tone it produces. Zac happily and very kindly replaced my old Model C with a new updated one under his lifetime warranty. I wasn't the original purchaser, and I've only had the bass since late January, so I am very impressed.

Anyway, while I play slap/pizz/arco 45/45/10%, probably more than half of the time acoustically, I had never really thought that when amped I'd benefit from the fingerboard pickup all that much. As it's working out, it helps for my amped playing a whole lot. Coming from a bluegrass and old-jazz background, I'm a relatively light slapper, so it means that I can play lightly with all of my right hand technique and still be heard all around -- I don't have to play softly with pizz and then loudly with slap while amped. So I'm very pleased to be able to use both pickups now.