amp for the swr weary

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i finally got my music room in the new house set up and was playin around and noticed i was annoyed by my tone. the high end was massively sizzly. now given i have fairly new steels on a STINGRAY, but my jazz and my fretless was the same way. can you guys make some reccommendations for heads to try or even pre's that might turn me on. money is at all time embarassing levels so keep in mind i will be selling this head first. let me know
  2. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to use an swr super redhead, but like you, i got sick of the sizzly tone. I switched to an alembic F1-X preamp and was pleased. It's very warm and fat, yet retains clairity. The only possible gripe is that the only tone shaping is a fixed three band EQ, a bright, and a deep switch. That said, I hardly touch the EQ, it doesn't need it. It's also pretty cheap used.

I hear the aguilar pre-amp is also very good, but pricy. I think it had more tone shaping options than the alembic.
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thnx for the reply... i think i might try to sell it and get a used rmx or carvin power amp, and a used pre amp. thanks.
  4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I recently updated from a SM400s. There are many TBer favorite pre's and power amps. While I do feel I moved up a little in the tone department, I am certain my money would have been better spent on more lessons.
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    cool thanks for ur reply
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Why not just back off the tweeter's level in your speaker cabinet and rethink your EQ on the amp (and instruments)? That would be a lot cheaper...

Some SWR manuals have tone setting suggestions. Try a more rock tone (as opposed to Funk or Jazz) the high end should be tamed a bit and the mids will be more present. Turn the contour/enhance knob all the way counter-clockwise.

Try turning your basses volume down a bit, that might help too.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    tweeter is almost all the way off on the epifani and the treble is flat.
  8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use my SWR amp/cab with the tweeter
    completely off and the Treble cut to 10:00
    Transparency (which is a boost only circuit)
    completely counterclockwise for everything except slappin'.

No sizzle.
    Very Ampeg-ish.
    But the wide freq. range is available when needed.
  9. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    in case you get a chance.. check out the swr IOD (interstellar overdrive) preamp, it has a nice soft tube sound, a bit softer than ampeg.... yo ucan kinda tell rfom teh basstasters website...and i have no problems with the treble set flat even with my tweeter on with new DR lo riders