Amp for touring...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 14, 2003.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    This summer there's a big chance I might be touring the US. I will definitely be needing a bigger amp if this goes through, I was wondering if one of the Workingman's Stacks at would work out for me. Probably the 4004, I do like the tone of the 4004 head alot. We will be playing shows with around 50 people to shows with about 1,000 people I think... I believe a few are outdoor. There will be PA support as well. Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I have a fever...and the only MORE SVTs!!!!!
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    workingman heads are ok
    workingman cabinets really kinda suck
    if money was no object i would use a demeter hbp-1 preamp, a stewart 2.1 power amp
    and an epifani 310 and epi 212
  4. As for speakers, the Workingman stuff is pretty lame. Go with a Goliath 4x10 or 1x15 and 2x10's. That is if you're going SWR. I think the 4004 head is OK. It puts out decent power and it should be reliable. However, you could get a SansAmp pre-amp and a QSC RMX 850 (which is 830 watts into 4 ohms ) and have (imo) a much better head. You could pair that with a Avatar 1x15 - 2x10 and have (imho) a better rig for about the same money.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Depending on how you're going to be getting around and what kinds of gigs these are going to be, it may make sense instead to arrange for rental gear at the various places.
  6. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I'll third that recommendation to avoid SWR Workingman cabs -- the one I had was crappy.

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Indeed. I blew up my 1x15 Workingman's cab and replaced it with a more powerful 15. The thing people don't get about WM 115's and Son of Bertha cabs is that they are designed for full range and not to carry mass amounts of low-end. Therefore, they don't last when attempts are made to coax heavy lows out of them. That sure was true with mine.

The WM 410 might be ok, but for that money you could get the Avatar which is built stronger, more powerful 10's and less expensive. The folks at Avatar are so nice and helpful as well.

Good luck with the tour!
  8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    This is the road that I would take. This gear sounds fine, but their are lots of pre-amps and amps to pick from. If something goes down its much less of a hassle to replace just the pre or just the amp or get a new cab.
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Hmm... ok well I'm going to be using the monthly installments plan deal just because I couldn't put $1,000 or so dollars down on the spot. What about the Workingman's 8004 package? Another option would be to get a power amp and use my GK Backline 250BL as a pre. The head sounds nice but the cab leaves much to be desired. I'd look into GK cabs but they're coming out with new models soon and I would wait but unfortunately if this tour thing goes through it starts May 30th which is probably when the cabs come out and I need to order faster. I like many brands of amps so I would really love to get some more opinions on options I might have from everyone. Thanks!
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

I would buy used gear if my current amp really wasn't up to the tour.

Spending $1000 using time payments because you can't afford it up front...well, that will be one heck of an expensive tour, eh?

What is your actual budget?
  11. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    45 bucks a month? That sounds alot better than spending $1,000 right away...
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you're gonna be on the road, I'd suggest Peavey. Heavy, but built like tanks with enough tone to get any buisness done that you care to throw at them.
    Cheap, too.
  13. if you are on a budget why not go for a/some avatar cabs ( the price is right... they handle a ton of power and they get great reviews... as for a head it all depends on how much power you want but used is the way to go to get the best bang for the buck
  14. The GK RBS cabinets are being replaced by the SBX line which is basically the same thing with a tweeter added. The RBH line is unchanged which has twice the power handling of the RBS. Every artist I've had test the GK RBH cabinets has instantly fallen in love with them. Even the most skeptical.

The backline stuff is good for students, but it's not meant to be a touring rig. It did get new speakers this past month so will sound much closer to the rest of the GK speaker lines than before. If the speakers are glossy, those are the old ones.
  15. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Alright well I'm going to Guitar Center this Saturday, Daniel are the new GK models out because I am really hoping to try them.

Another question for anyone who is familiar with Guitar Center, what do they pay for gear? Do they pay half of what a say GK400RB is? I'm also curious if anyone knows what they pay for Mesa gear. Mesa charges list price to customers but does GC pay that much? Thanks.
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Most likely, GC pays around 50% of the LIST price of the item, but the list price is not necessarily the same as the marked price. If your GC does things the way mine does, the marked price may be 20-35% off the list price, meaning that GC's margin would be around 15-30%.

GC won't pay as much for Mesa gear as Joe Schmoe ordering individually from the factory will, but it probably won't help you much to know that, because that difference is GC's profit on the gear, and they're not likely to hand much of their profit margin over to you. You'll likely pay close to, or even exactly, what you would if you ordered from Mesa, plus sales tax (but without shipping, of course). Unless they're having a sale on a closeout or a floor demo. I think Mesa actually has a policy that their can't charge less than the price Mesa specifies, but I could be wrong.
  17. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Well, for outdoor and even 1000 ppl, you willneed more than 400 watts man. Id suggest a small sansamp pre-amp. like $200 and sound great and run that through the PA and buy a nice set of 4x10's or 8x10's cab and a pair of subwoofers. I really do ant a workingmans head tough man. They sound greatand are perfect for what I need.

Idont gig. I just jam with my band so I think thats a great amp but if anyone could suggest a good cab to go with the workingmans 4004, I woul aprecciate them man. Wan one bad. 30 watts aint cuttin it lol.

18. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I've been wanting to try the 4004 with a Big Bertha cab. I really like the 4004 head and the Workingman's tower was nice but I haven't played through the other Workingman's cabs so I wouldn't know about those.
  19. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If money is of no option... I've been sold on EBS going to get a cab probably in a week or two...
  20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the 4004 head is nice...really nice, they sound great through almost any cab.
    get that head...then see what they have for cabs and try them out.