Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp FRIGHT! - weird shrieking sound!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resol, Jan 1, 2006.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    :help:
    yesterday i connected my amp up as usual at church...
    Musicman SUB->sansamp BDDI->Nemesis NC-210
    ...turned the amp on, turned the sansamp on, turned up the bass volume, gain to 1 o'clock, then as i slowly turned up the master...SHRIEK!!!

Shocked, i turned the amp immediately off, looked for any loose cables...but everything seemed fine - so i turned up the master again - this time no shriek - good - but then, as i clicked the sansamp on - SHRIEK!! Again!

it sounds sorta like feedback but worse, building in volume and nothing quite like i've heard before...my guitarist said his effects loop sounded similar when it had problems - but i'm not using the FX loop

i'm thinking it's the sansamp, but do pedals make that sound? it's very loud...what could it be? the amp works fine today for some reason, even with the sansamp, but i'm scared as to what it could be

please help...! :help:

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    My Sansamp has made that sound, but it was definately feedback and it was awesome.

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    mine made a piercing shriek last night when I turned it on in front of the whole crowd. It did it once during soundcheck, but then was perfectly fine. I ended up not using it :(

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    did it build up in volume, or was it just a 'shriek'? it looks like it makes a similar sound to mine - and the funny thing is that it doesn't wanna make that sound anymore - it works fine now :confused:

still wondering whether its the amp or sansamp - do amps make such sounds?

5. It sounds like feedback

A bit of advice when using the sansamp, use the level dial to get it so the volume remains constant/near enough the same when you switch the pedal off and on, that way you arent overloading any part of your preamps input

Another thing to watch is how high up the gain and prescense controls are, it will shriek quite easily if they are up high ive noticed