Amp Fuse Cap Woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ltrain2015, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ltrain2015

ltrain2015

Dec 3, 2011
    Hey Bass Talk Fam,

I have a little issue with my SWR Working Pro 700. I was on a gig and pulled the fuse out the back to inspect, but apparently didn't secure the fuse cap. Needless to say I lost the fuse cap and the fuse. I went online "ebay" and purchased what I thought would be a suitable replacement only to discover that the cap will not fit the fuse port in the back of my SWR amp. I'm wondering if there is any tip, trick, or hack that I can use to either get the current fuse cap I have working with my SWR or a place to get the correct cap.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    LTrain

Attached Files:

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    At this point it might be easier to replace the entire fuseholder than to find a matching end cap.

BK/HTB-22M-R Bussmann / Eaton | Mouser

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi ltrain2015 :)

Fixed! :laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Match what? If you're starting over, all it has to do is work. It's as easy to find 5x25 and 5x30 mm holders as it is to find 5x20 if that's an issue.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    What I was saying was....

Some older amps had panel mount holders for 1/4” x 1 1/4” (6.3 x 32mm) fuses, the caps were bayonete push and turn style. Caps for these type of fuse holders are available. I used to buy fuse holder caps by the box. People tend to loose these things. There’s a good chance that a local tech might have one that will fit available.

Holders for different sized fuses may look similar but will not fit. The caps may have a long metal barrel and could be a different diameter.

So it is important to identify the fuse holder cap size, the style, and how the it attaches, bayonete or screw on.

For DIY, a new fuse holder and cap is easier to deal with. It isn’t necessary to search for the right part, you simply buy and install a similar sized assembly. This might involve soldering. If the current fuse holder has (non solder) terminals for faston connectors, then they have to be the right size.

okcrum and Wasnex like this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Most real service shops have a box of fuse caps for exactly this reason.

BassmanPaul and okcrum like this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey!
    John still has some of my original rubber strap locks that I made in 1990.
    The first ones that were ever made were called Rubbers and I found one on the floor of a recording studio in
    1982 ish.

9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I’ll look tomorrow. I use to have some of these from back in my SWR days. I get back to you tomorrow with my findings.