1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp G.A.S. conflict, confusion & chaos...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snibborwocky, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So, let me begin by saying that first & foremost I am an Ampeg guy. Always loved their products and overall company in general (since beginning to learn bass back in the late 80's) and always will. Over the years I started to broaden and test out my options with other amp companies. First it was GK (800RB), followed by Eden (WT800), then Hartke (HA3500C), moving onto Markbass (Littlemark III) a few months ago and THEN from out of nowhere last night while browsing YouTube, BAM! Darkglass hits me like a ton of bricks. THAT SOUND. So much GAS for the Microtubes 500 right now. I feel like I'm either well on my way in curating an amp museum or slowly going insane not being able to decide on THE amp that best suits me for an extended amount of time. Please tell me there are others out there with this same dilemma?!? ...and if not, please send a straight jacket and a one way ticket to a padded cell.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    PO Box or home address?

I was never really amp crazy like that. Played Sunn back in the day, still have several amps/cabs. Always with Fender Jazz and a pick. P-Bass necks too wide for me.

After picking up an active Ibanez Musician w 3 band eq. and jamming at backline studios, I can work whatever rig is there to get the tone I hear in my head.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Snibborwocky likes this.
  3. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    It's like wine or coffee. Sound can be very interesting. Ultimately I find a sound I can work with in every amp but it is fun and interesting to adapt to a new one. What sounds great alone frequently sounds very different with different groups depending on the collective tone of each group. I really enjoy exploring the variation and adapting to it.

Stumbo and Snibborwocky like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    So much tone is in your hands and playing style. Youtube videos only tell you ballpark tone. You have to consider the player, the Mic, possible post production, and what you're listening to the recording on too.

Every amp I play through inevitably sounds like me.

Snibborwocky likes this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I guess it is normal to never be 100% satisfied with ones sound.
    And 'That' sound is, at least for me, always a snapshot - the sound I strive so hard to get today might differ greatly from the sound I'm looking for next week. I had my gear about just exactly how I wanted it, then another band opportunity came up. I joined - and realized that my tone, that was great for biting through the mix with two loud rock guitars, was not so much usable with reggae and ska.
    I regularly buy and sell amps, cabs and pedals. When I get something new (and often something more expensive that is supposed to be a lot better) that can do what the old piece did, only better (or more), the old piece can go.
    If the old piece can do something special (which I have no use for at the moment but might in the future), it often stays.
    I just sold a bunch of stuff, but I still have three amp heads that can handle a gig and I'm looking for number 4.
    As a gigging bassist, I like to have two of all the essential bits (all the cables, bass, cab, head) in working order - so if one fails, I grab the other one and worry later.

Stumbo, Snibborwocky and LeftyD like this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

What cab is that in your Avatar?