Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp head advise, from a trace v-type...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CDT, Feb 10, 2006.

1. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    I've been trying out a v-type 600h into a 1044H (410, 4ohm cab) and I love the sound. thing is, the 600h SS poweramp has an issue cutting out...there's a sensor on the poweramp that shuts off the amp and I don't feel it's reliable. I'm keeping the cab but need a head...what's close to the hybrid v-type?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A V-type preamp and any PA amp (Stewart World 2.1, Crest CA-9, etc). You could also get fancy and find a used Aguilar 728.. :)

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'd get a the Trace V-type preamp or a Alembic F1-X and whatever poweramp of your liking.

Or get another V-type hybrid head, I've found mine to very reliable and never even came close to having any issues. Maybe, yours is an unfortunate dud.

I used to have an amp that had fuse problems after I bought it and found out that the previous owner had put a severely underrated fuse thinking they all were essentially the same (good thing it wasn't higher rated). So long story short I put in the proper fuse and everything worked fine. In your situation this may or may not be as simple, however.

4. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    thanks for the replies..a v-type pre might be the answer..I was wondering about the ashdown 575w hybrid head as well..wish I could play through one but no shops in NC have them that I know of...

thanks again

5. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    oh yeah, to clarify: the cutting out has happened twice in a year, once when my friend had it and once while i've been considering buying it from him. still, that's enough. I gig regularly and can't trust it. shipping it off for repair at $65/hr plus shipping is not an option for me when the head is not cheap to begin with.

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I had a 300 watt v-type that would shut down when it got hot (also driving a 4ohm load). I put a second fan in it so that one pushed cool air in the front and the other pulled hot air out the back. Never shut down again after that.

7. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    anyone know if the preamp in the vtype can be taken out and rack mounted?

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    From looking at the insides of my former head V-type 300H I remember it looking like it would not be an easy job. I think I remember my the pre and the power amp being one unit so this may not be so easy.

My advice is find a V-type preamp used and use that. Or a spend little more $$$ and get an Alembic F1-X which may be a little easier to find. I like the Trace pre over the F1-X though.