amp head BAGS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 8, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i don't have the money, or necessity, for an expensive rack case. plus, the added weight and somewhat decreased portability (all i have is a head, and i don't plan on using a compressor/tuner, etc.) doesn't help. are there any lighter weight, easy to move and cheap amp carrying bags, preferably one with rack-a-mount style wings so that i can leave it securely in there at all times.

my swr just seems so vulnerable without protection from the elements and an easy way to move it around.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've had several and best bang for the buck are Gator rack bags...
  3. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
  4. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    How about ones that don't have rackmounting rails and yet provide good protection? I may want to get one that I can slide the amp in and out... I guess I could just not mount the amp on the rails...:smug:
  5. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    would a rack bag trap more heat than a standard rack case? it seems to me a close fitting bag would make a power amp more prone to overheating
  6. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I've never seen a rack bag that you couold slide an amp in/out. Not sure you would want to but I had an ampeg that fit nicely in the gator bag. As long as the fan blows out the back or front, overheating shouldnt be an issue.
  7. I made the mistake of getting a rack bag with Velcro closing front/back flaps... do yourself a favor and get a rack bag with ZIPPERED flaps. It is like a juggling act every time I setup my rig... trying to get the flaps under the rack without sticking to the cloth on my cabs.... Zippers are cooler than velcro, or at least in the scenario.
  8. snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    I have an Ampeg B2 head in a Gator 2 space rack bag with the zippered front and back. It is really a great setup, and makes a heavy head easy to move around.
    As for the question of heat, I wondered the same thing before buying the bag. The case of the B2 is incredibly thick and tough steel. Placing a nylon rack bag over it does not make any difference and the fan keeps things cool.