1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp head/cabinet selection for the fairly novice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KatCreek Guitars, May 9, 2010.

1. KatCreek Guitars

KatCreek Guitars Commercial User

Jan 11, 2009
    Los Alamos, NM
    Owner, KatCreek Guitars
    OK guys, I know there is probably some thread that has this information, but wanted some specific advice from some very well seasoned players. I'm a fairly new bass player, but starting to gig regularly at small to medium size venues. I have a Sukop 4 string with Bartonoli pick-ups. First and only bass I've owned. I'm a lightweight still, can play some good licks, but mainly focus on my vocals with adding to the undertone of this duo band I have with a guitarist/vocalist. Probably going to add a drummer and keys to the

I still have a little bitty Peavy practice amp as I've been saving up for the big buy and which will be the system I'll use for 5-10 years. I don't buy and sell, just buy what I think I need so I spend too much time researching it....if you know what I mean.

So I'm probably going to get a Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12, and probably a Bergantino AE210 and an Epifani DIST 112 (or 115 if they are making them). Reason being I like a good tone, but also want lightweight and longterm use. I liked the DIST Epifani's as they use a birch cabinet, not any plywood. I like a noncarpet outside as I think they will look good longer. I don't know why I'm mixing Bergantino with Epifani other than I can get Bergs locally so thought I'd get one of the cabinets locally.

So someone stop me if I'm buying the wrong thing!!!

I play blues, jazz, classic rock and pop.

Thanks for your help.

KC

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the PR spiel for the DIST cabs are implying typical baltic birch plywood, the 112 sure as heck wouldn't weigh 29 lbs otherwise.

The Max 12's two power sections do not have individually adjustable outputs, so unless you are certain the sensitivity of two different cab types are really, really close, one may be much louder than the other.

The phase shift at certain frequencies canceling each other out might be annoying too. It might not, but unless you happen to be getting a great deal on two different used cabs, I'd use two identical ones.

3. KatCreek Guitars

KatCreek Guitars Commercial User

Jan 11, 2009
    Los Alamos, NM
    Owner, KatCreek Guitars
    Thanks for the info.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Yeah you would be better off getting 2 of the same cab. Or perhaps a single 410? As a vocalist first and bassist second, I wouldn't really go for anything too expensive or anything crazy. If you're made of money though then you really have no limits.

5. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Go play a lot of stuff in music stores. Don't decide here. Really. Multiple cabs that are the same are the right thing to do in theory, but you don't know if 1) you need multiple cabs, or 2) if ANY cabs are the right ones for you until you go play. Just give yourself a budget and play everything you can find. If you have a big enough music store around, play at least one or two heads set flat through every cabinet there. Make sure you turn the head all the way down and back up for each cabinet, as your ear will tell you the louder one sounds good if you leave the amp volume the same. Pick the cabinet that speaks to you. Then play all the heads through that cabinet set flat, doing the volume thing again. Narrow it down to a couple that sound good to you, and choose based on features and power. If almost all of them sound good to you, then buy a used Peavey Mark VII and a good used cabinet and call it a day. :)

You'd be amazed at how QUICKLY you will form an opinion on different heads and cabinets if you just spend a couple hours playing through them. One of my favorite quotes (Laurie Anderson, maybe?); "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

6. Sparks55

Sparks55

Feb 22, 2009
    B'more North, MD
    Try to play a TC Electronic Rh450 head and one of their 210 cabinets. Best decision I ever made. I've only been playing a year, yet this rig has gotten me compliments on my sound from some serious players. I'm playing a 4 string with a Bartolini P/J setup. Have fun!

Mark