Amp head cooling perforations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Are there any problems with adding further ventilation holes to a racked amp to dissipate heat further?

The fan is pushing air in...i'm just wondering 'cause some computer equipment doesn't like being run without it's casing on to keep the airflow around the internals.

I'm thinking of making a new top cover for my Eden with perforations across most of the top...even with a 3U rack the whole thing heats up a bit.
  2. I don't know specifically about your Eden, but...

that's not generally a good idea. The air should follow the same path through the head so that the components are cooled as the engineers designed them. You mentioned that the fan was pushing air in... why not add an additional fan to PULL the air out (probably from the entire rack... not just the head). This is basically the same idea as is done with many computers and many home heating/cooling systems.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yes, I'd leave it alone. No problem adding fans to your rack however.

Hmm. . .it's possible the Eden doesn't have a good design. But then again, if the thing doesn't fail on you, I don't see a reason to change it.
  4. I'm a great believer in - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, how new is your amp - if you start modifying things yourself and some unrelated problem develops they may still decline any warranty claims. Just a thought!