1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP HEAD HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WashburnCB5, Mar 21, 2009.

1. WashburnCB5

WashburnCB5

Sep 3, 2008
    Hey fellas, this is my first thread on talk bass.

Im in a pickle. Im in the market for a new head, i have about 425 to spend. It would need to power my Hartke 810xl, im shooting for atleast 350 watts at 4 ohms. Ive become interested in the peavey tmax and firebass 700. Both ive found for under 400. Do you guys have any suggestions? The guitarist in my band both have madison divinity IIs which are loud as hell, id need something to keep up.

Thanks guys!

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    How about the Hartke LH500? That would get you 500 watts and they sound great. Do a search,most people who have tried them love them. They cost about what you want to spend.

4. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
  5. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Peavey Firebass or Max 700, nothing like a bulletproof amp that runs @ 2 ohms...:cool:

[​IMG]

6. There's a Firebass for sale locally here on Craigslist.

7. LH500
    if you buy it from "American Music Supply", they throw in a "bass attack pedal"

$449. shipped

8. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Hartke HA3500a or LH500.

I have a 3500 and love it. Hartke heads are killer.

9. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Cool avatar unclekebm! :)

10. I've got that exact head which I now use as strickly a rehearsal amp. IMO, it's got one of the worst EQ sections ever put into a bass head. To try to get any midrange punch out of the para's is almost impossible. It's a shame because the amp is built like a brick you know what house.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you shop around you should be able to get a Firebass for around $300. I've found the EQ section to be a little bit bass heavy; it's a contributing factor in the illusion of no mid punch. If you have the bass at 12 O'clock and slowly turn it counterclockwise until you actually notice a difference, you'll be able to leave it at 11 O'clock. With the mid sweep @ around 800 hz and the mid boost at 1:30, it sounds pretty punchy, at least with my 2x12 cab.

Another head that you might consider is the new BX500 Carvin. It will look a little underwhelming on top of your 145 pound 8x10, but 500 watts for $420 is pretty amazing.
    https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX500 Oh, and it's made in San Diego, if that matters.

12. thanks...

13. I owned that exact Firebass amp too, would still have it if someone didn't steal it. For the money that peavey is well worth it. Never had any problems in the 4 years i had it. it did give me a little trouble to dial in tone i liked but I am way to anal about those things anyway.Oh and it was real loud