Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp head noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 5, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    how much noise and buzz is standard on an amp? obviously not all amps are nice and quiet. mine has a little bit, but i was wondering what happens with others.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It should be minimal... Combo amps and cabinets with tweeters will be more likely to produce hiss than those without.

You shouldn't have to put up with buzz (power frequency noise).

Depending on the type of pickup(s) that are on your bass, standing farther away or rotating left or right in relation to your amp could eliminate buzz created by the power transformer of your amp that is induced in your pickups.

It might not be the amp's fault...cheap (or damaged) cables, poor grounding in your instrument or lack of (incomplete/defective) shielding can all lead to noise problems...

You need to consider every piece of the signal chain as the culprit...the amp simply amplifies what it receives at the input jack.

If you're having a specific problem, please describe it in more detail and we might be able to help.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Having just read your profile, depending on what's going on, it could be enhanced by the tweeter in your Avatar cabinet...Foster horns get a bad rap for that...

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, the sound is very low, and its not that i have to put up with it. it just is there. it also occurs when no guitar is plugged in (and no cord either). it may be the tweeter; when i turned the tweeter level down, it definitely gets reduced, but not eliminated. not really a problem at all; it does not in any way affect the sound of the bass.

thansk for the help though. seems like its just natural sound. i'm sure i'll survive.

the ultimate test (to see if it reel is the tweeter) will be when I'm recording thru the balanced xlr out. if i don't hear any hiss, its most likely not the swr.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    With both of my GK amps, I have to put my head practically inside the speaker cone to hear any hum. If you have an older amp, there may be loose ground connections in need of attention. If it is really really old, the power supply filter capacitors could be oozing their life essence.