Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp heads and power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rafterman, Sep 1, 2001.

1. i am really getting into buying a power amp for my SWR Working Man's 160 (a.k.a. Workingman's 2004)

i wanna get a bigger cab though, but there is one thing i want to know first....

if i wanna get more than 160 watts out of my amp head...then i have to buy a power amp to get more wattage, right?...if that is true...than the use of the Workingman's 160 (2004) would be to control the tone, right?...than the power amp would power my volume and give me more power, right?:confused:

HELP ME OUT HERE

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1) YES(But you are not getting more watts out of your head. You are getting them out of the new amp), YES(The Pre-amp indeed) ,YES(Depends on what you buy)

2) I really think you should sell it, and buy a Head and Cab, instead of doing what you want. That would be better and cheaper in the long run.

3) You can look into the higher end SWR´s , Carvin, Eden, etc.

3. yeah i understand it will be expensive, but will it work just fine?

4. wait a minute, it wouldn't be that expensive because the Workingman 160 (2004) was just "given" to me, i'd just have to buy a cab and a strong power amp.

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    how much money do you have? you could just sell the head, and get a power amp and a preamp. then you can get a cab to go with it. ive been pointed in the direction of carvin power amps which are really reasonable, and preamps dont cost hardly anything. good luck.