1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp heads on top of cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Had someone try to tell me last night that I shouldn't put my amp head or rig components on top of my cabinet because the vibrations will shake things (tubes, connectors, etc), loose.

I looked at him like this...:scowl:

I get what he is saying from a theoretical standpoint, but in 30 years of playing I've never found this to be an issue...

Thoughts>?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    He is wrong.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If there is a problem with your cabinet and it's shaken all over, it isn't good for the head. Otherwise, no problem. Let common sense prevail.

Then again, if you have a bad back, placing a heavy head on a cab is not a good thing. :p

4. He certainly is Olly. :D
    Unless yr cab's so bad it vibrates like crazy.

5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    He is wrong. However, an old guitarist of mine would sometimes have his head fall of his cabinet due to the vibrations. But I don't think it was JUST the vibrations. There must have been something else going on.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Or your head is so F'ed up it can't take being moved at all.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you see him again, tell him the parts are soldered in place, so they shouldn't fall out too easily.

If putting the head on the cabinet is so bad, I have to wonder if he ever thought about combo amps.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    One of my Amp manuals actually stated this very warning. I just can't remember if it was my Hartke HA4000 or my Marshall VBA400.

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Once you get a high quality cab, vibrations is no issue anyway. :)

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    The only issue I've had is with the head vibrating slightly and producing microphonics.. I bought this kneeling pad and it fits perfect between my headcase feet and lifts it 1/4 of an inch and I have ZERO microphonic issues now.

71-lT41aWQL._SX522_.

11. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    what wierds me out is the JimmyM rig. head w/two vertical 2x10on top. just sayin'

12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Poltergeists? :p

There is certainly room for a big Duuuuhhhh in there.. ;)

13. XVK

XVK

Oct 1, 2013
    Land of Bubblers
    I assume you have a tube head. I had the same problem with a Sunn 2000S on top of an Ampeg 410 HLF Pro. A piece of foam rubber made it stop. I think the tubes were starting to to go bad though.