1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Heads or Combos that run on 'Universal' power supply (will work overseas)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pudgychef, Dec 7, 2016.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I was just reading the Bassplayer review of the Genzler 800 head and saw that JH noted the Gentler ran on a Universal Power Supply (works overseas) like 'many SMPS amps do'...

Is this the case? I seem to remember early Markbass heads being able to run at 110 or 220....any others?

What heads or combos are you aware of that can run stateside and overseas?

The Genzler is well beyond my power needs though....but a 200-500w head that could run on 220v AND is purchasable in Canada would be a must buy on my visit home for Christmas... (stuff here is SO much more expensive and hard to get)

Any suggestion appreciated - Boutique stuff is out of my price range unfortunately...

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Aguilar heads have a switch in the back, at least the Tone Hammer does.
    I'm pretty sure Ampeg Portaflex do was well.

pudgychef and rodl2005 like this.
  3. Bergantino B-Amp

jerry, Killed_by_Death and pudgychef like this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Mesa D-800 has a "100-120/220-240 VAC, 50/60Hz, 250W, auto-ranging power supply" according to the manual and I suspect that the D-800+ would have this feature as well.

pudgychef likes this.
  5. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thanks for the replies so far - curious to hear any more...- will look into some others after tonight's gig

6. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    Carvin BX series. I purchased a BX500 for that exact reason, well, it was extremely affordable too. Nice all around amp for the money.

BadExample and pudgychef like this.
  7. My Tech21 VT500 will run at 110/220. Just read the literature on whatever you want/buy. I believe with some amps you also have to change the fuse as well as flipping the switch. There was thread somewhere here on the subject a while back.

pudgychef likes this.
  8. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Also shopping for an amp with the same specs as you it seems...

Traynor SB series (heads and combos) are all switchable. To do the switch, you need to move a jumper inside, procedure very well explained in their service manual.

The SB200h and SB500H heads are made in Canada and matching your requirements IMHO.

pudgychef likes this.
  9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    bumping for any more ideas - looks like the Traynor SB200 is in the lead as it is less expensive than the other options in Canada (The Carvin gets pricey once it crosses the border etc)

Thanks so far everyone!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    FTR, Markbass heads do 120/240v, but it's a somewhat involved procedure that requires a tweak on the circuit board.

pudgychef likes this.
  11. TC Electronics RH and BH heads can be used with both 120/240v.

pudgychef likes this.
  12. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Got my Mesa D800 head in the US, works perfectly in Europe.

Al Kraft and pudgychef like this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Most or all of those are auto select too. It should be noted the BX1600 and likely the 1500 are not sporting any method to run a different voltages. External transformer or Carvin can replace the internal. I'll wire my house dual voltage and use funky outlets and cords for 115. I bought an inlaw "electrician" a cordless drill and told him it was 115. Within a day he plugged it into 220 and asked me what to do. I told him it still works fine but now its a hammer. Walang laman ulo.

spankdaplank and pudgychef like this.
  14. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    Ampeg PF800 works on any current via a switch on the back.
    H

pudgychef likes this.
  15. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    Carvin automatically handles 100v to 240v. I also have a Peavey VB-3 all tube amp that works the same way. Pricey amp, though.

When we had our house built here I agonized over whether to have separate 115v outlets. After six years I'm still not sure what the best choice is. I opted to just use small conversion transformers where needed. I still wound up destroying a few things even though my 115v plugs are marked with bright yellow tape. But my amps stay safe.

P.S. I replaced just about all my wallwarts with multi voltage types.

pudgychef likes this.
  16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I can relate... Funky plugs and outlets is something I need to start buying and saving... added to the list!

Soooooooo, does a drill's battery charger work after 220V? :D

pudgychef likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Aguilars do.

pudgychef likes this.
  18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    TH350 would be hi on my list...need to find a Canadian dealer with a decent price (or a used on on classifieds that will ship intl)

19. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    First of all here in the Philippines, the common outlets are standard UNGROUNDED U.S. style parallel blade outlets running 220v. So screwing up is quick and easy.

As for my antique Sears (Ryobi) 18v drill batt charger; it sounded like a .22 pistol being fired. I was able to save it, though. The electronics are protected from gross over voltage by an MOV which is what exploded. Believe it or not my buddy in the U.S.was able to get the correct replacement part at Radio Shack of all places and mail it to me. Works fine now.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021