Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Heads/Pre Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Colarndo, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Hi to all.
    I am deciding to get a Bass Pre Amp/ Head whatever you call it.
    I am undecided between a Mesa Walkabout and an SWR 550x.
    I heard the Walkabout has some construction problems while the SWR 550x didn't receive good ratings.

Anybody can recommend any other good Tube pre amps/heads?
    I will not be running it through any amps cos I live in a small house.I heard of Carvin, Ampeg etc. But not too sure.

My reference would be like (Maroon 5) "She Will Be Loved" Bass Sound. Deep Low End with slight punch. Not muddy though.

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Two things mate.

1. A preamp and a head are different. A preamp is just for sound shaping, and a head has preamp and a poweramp, which can power cabs. Which leads me to . . .

2. I think you mean you wont be running it throough any cabs, seen as youre buying just a head, but without cabs you wont be heard, at all.

Could you please me more specific and maybe even post links to what your thinking about, cos if it those heads (Mesa/SWR) then you will have an amp but no speakers so you wont produce any sound.

HTH :)

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what jack said
    if you are really planning not to run thru speakers you will need a preamp that has a headphone out, or you will need to have some kind of recording equipment to plug the preamp into so you can connect to headphones or home audio speakers.

There are a lot of good practice amps meant to be used with headphones out now - maybe that's what you're looking for?

4. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I go to a jamming studio once a week that runs Nemesis Amps from Eden line.
    Most gigs in Singapore(where I'm from) run through D. boxes.
    My amp at home is only 25watts.

My gear consists of
    SansAmp Bass Driver D.I
    Behringer Bass V-Amp
    Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC200
    BBE acoustic 386 pre-amp

After consultation from a friend, I decided to get the real thing instead of those things that imitate the real thing.

I live in a small house, and a amp above 100watss is a Big no no.
    Actually, I'm thinking Mesa Or SWR. Does it nake a difference, running through a Head or pre-amp. If it sounds good, who cares?

5. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
  6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If youre using headphones then no, you wont need a cab.
    If youre using the DI out to a PA system then no, you wont need a cab.
    If youre using a bass and one of those heads only then yes, you will need a cab.

Just re-read you last post - If your only using these as a preamp to a Nemesis combo I ask you why? Buy some cabs and have much better, much louder sound. :eek:

7. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Any recommendations?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Sounds to me like you don't want an amp at all, just a nicer preamp/DI. The Sansamp you already have is very very popular. If you want a real tube, and have lots of money, the Avalon U5 is highly recommended.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    1. Stick with your Sansamp, if thats the sounds youre after.
    2. Get some cabs to go with one of those heads. :bassist:

10. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I got myself a Mesa Boggie M-Pulse 360.

I will be going back to the dealer to get it working

You're suppose to remove the plastic from the tubes,
    I unscrewed the plate but one screw had corroded, so I couldn't remove the plastic. Gotta carry the damn thing back.
    Sheesh...
    All that trouble for one screw.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm not familiar with that unit, but if it's a head with a tube power stage then it requires a speaker cab. Tube amps must output into a load or they die. Ask the dealer how it is supposed to be used if you are not sure.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I believe the MPulse line is SS.

But im still wondering why thats being fed into a Nemesis combo, oh well, suppose if it was the PA as well. . . . . .