Amp help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, Apr 30, 2001.

1. I am looking into buying a new amp, it would be my second. I currently have an Aria B-30. I was thinking about buying a nice cabinet to keep for a while and just get new heads when i get hit with GAS. Any advice would be apprectiated, and reccomendations too.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Triad, Hartke 410, Eden D210XLT, Carvin, Peavey, etc. What type of music? What's your budget?
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont know how you feel about mail order, but if you dont want to spend and arm and a leg and get a very nice sounding cabinet, Id like to recomend the Carvin RL 4x10. They are very light weight, only 70 lbs, 600 watt@8 ohm. The frequency response is 50-15 I believe.

These cabinets have good, rich, deep, and puncy low end. Warm mids, and articulate highs. The cab has no problem cutting threw in any situation Ive ever been in with her. I think that Carvin being a factory direct distributer, really turns away alot of busness for them.

The only thing I really dont care for much about the cabinet is the side handles, they kinda hurt the wrist a little bit when carrying the cabinet with 2 people, the plastic handle hits the top of your wrist. Reverse your grip and the problems solved though. I would also rather have the cabinet 4 ohm instead of 8 ohm. But these are 2 small over lookable things in my opion.

Yes there are more efficient cabs out there than this one, even better sounding ones. (Eden's) But for what you pay for this cab, is alot less than most out there and gives you just as good a sound. This of course is just my opinion.
  4. Well, budget isn't really a problem, as long as it is under $5,000. I'm into pretty much all music. If anyone is feeling knowledgable and generous i wouldn't mind a breakdown of all the particulars of amps and what they mean/do.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im still recomending Carvin's speakers budget or not, they give a great sound....Eden is also another very great sounding cabinet, and definatly worth a look into as through them all and let your ears be the judge.