1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp help! It broke: Aguilar 500sc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen02, Oct 4, 2009.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I was playing at practice last night, drummer unplugs my EH Microsynth from the power strip, then plugs it back in. There was a "pop!" from the amp, and then....nothing.

When I shut it down and turn it back on, the first blue light just flashes and flashes, and clicking the stand-by switch causes no discernible change.

Did my drummer fry my amp? Should drummers never be allowed around anything that they can't justifiably hit with a stick? What would be the thing that went wrong here, and is it going to cost a fortune to fix?

As luck would have it, was due to start playing w/ a new band today, and....not gonna happen.

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Directly from the manual...
    "Thermal/DC Mode: In this mode both the preamp and the power amp mute. The status light flashes. Power cycle the amp to reset. This may happen if the AC line power is not correct, if the amp is overheating, or if there is risk of damage to the amp or speakers".

The cause was a surge of current when your drummer plugged everything back in. The amp went in DC mode and shut down. It probably blew a fuse too so check that. And yes, don't let drummers touch anything! LOL

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    +1

4. Drummer,CORD, unplug, PLUG BACK IN? :eyebrow::rollno:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If he hadn't plugged it back in, I don't think the blue light would be flashing.

6. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    If it happen again make sure you hit the power switch and turn it off before plugging up again

7. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    No they shouldn't. I once plugged in an amp that my then drummer had just put a plug on. Next thing I know I'm being thrown across the room by the current. He hadn't got all the wire strands inside the plug, let alone in the contact point.

Your amp sounds like it just needs resetting, so that'll be a thermal switch or as has been suggested a fuse. Give Aguilar a call (212) 431-9109