Amp Help Needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anarchy_inside, Oct 8, 2005.

1. anarchy_inside

Sep 21, 2005
    ok, heres my dilemma, i currently only have a practice amp (15W Fender Rumble Amp) and the band im in is startin to get off the ground, we'v scored some gigs, i hav about $800-$1000 to spend, (absolute maximum, cheaper is preferred) what would a good amp to invest my hard earned money in? Preferably something avaliable in Australia (as thats where i live) ADVICE, HELP AND SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!? Also what brands? Types? size? Wattage? etc... i dont know a great lot about amps, and help will be appreciated! :help:
  2. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    we talkin up to a grand australian?
  3. anarchy_inside

Sep 21, 2005
    yep Australian dollars...
  4. If you tell me actual currency rate beetwen AUS$ and euro, I might be of help.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    what brands are available in Aus? How's the Ebay over there? Used is probably the best way to go. get a separate head and cab. That way you can upgrade later if you want.
  6. capt.john

Sep 21, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Check out the GK-400RB-15, it is 180W RMS into its 15-inch speaker and 280W RMS when you plug in a second 8-ohm speaker cab. Gives you the flexibility to expand for larger rooms, yet is still portable for practice. This is a well-made amp, cab and offers killer tonal flexibility. GK has the sound, mate! Costs about $750 US.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd check out an Ashdown Mag with a GK cab. I dunno what other brands you have over there, but if you have Genz Benz they make pretty good cabs for fair prices. For practice, a SWR Gol Jr may be all you need though.
  8. Trace, Ashdown and GK sound like a good orute to go down to me...! :)
  9. With that kind of cash to throw around in Aus you are really limited to 2nd hand or Behringer unfortunately, where is Aus are you? that will help and some other info like what style of music? give us as much info as you can cause then we can help you better.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Ashdown and GK are avalible in the down under, and I think that they are in the price range as well...
  11. I haven't found much Ashdown where I am so i can't comment, but GK is too expensive for his listed price range, probly the cheapest option is finding a pre-amp on the forum here and buy a Poweramp and Cabinet locally. But here are some ebay links of whats available.
    (this one is my fav :D mmmm 215 cabs rule!!, Laney has a 'decent' tone too) thats one of the better online stores in Australia too, that will give you US guys an idea of what is affordable.
  12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    check out the ashdown MAG range - with your budget, you might be able to talk down a MAG combo, or if not something from the Electric Blue range easy.
    i was looking into a 2x10 Ashdown MAG 300w combo - cost $1100RRP, cud probably get it down under a grand...
  13. anarchy_inside

Sep 21, 2005
    Im in Sydney, And we play rock/heavy metal...
  14. With Warwick's recent price drop, you might be able to talk down a Warwick Pro FET 3.1 head and 410 cab to close to $1000 AUD.

If you can that would give you an awesome setup!

Similarly, the Ashdown Mag300 and 410 combo would be in a similar ball park.

Both are great quality rigs that sound very good.

If you can't do that, a Behringer 4500 head plus their 210, 115 or 410 cabinet would be in your budget, but if you can spring a few extra dollars I feel the Warwick or Ashdown rigs would server you much better.