Amp help please read

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, Nov 9, 2003.

1. bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    I have Mesa mpulse 360 and an older mesa 4x10. The 4x10 wasnt handling my lows very well so i had some speakers replaced. The thing sounded great for a month but then it started doing the same thing. then i hooked my dads hartke 3500 head and the cab sounded fine. What could be wrong with the head? It is only 6 or 7 months old. And i got it right from mesa. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. this is just a guess, but you may be overdriving your speakers. If you have low,mid, and treble control on your amp you shouldn't run everything above zero. It crates a distorted tone and can eventually ruin you equipment. Start all of the knobs at 0 and take everything below zero when you want to raise something istead of going above 0.
    Once again, just a guess, More information on usage and setting would help.
  3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Not handling lows very well might mean the speakers were flapping like flags. That is NOT GOOD FOR THEM....the suspension gets stretched and loose and it happens more and more. You probably weren't doing that, but you see the point.

I don't remember the various specs, but for sure most Hartke's I have messed with are all about string popping...they have plenty highs and are a little light on lows unless turned up. So maybe it didn't push the speakers down there.

Sounds like maybe you ought to swap to a speaker that does more of what you want, which sounds like maybe its lots of low.

Or the advice about turning everythins else down instead of boosting may work, but the ultimate deal sounds like a volume of lows thing.
    If you follow the advice but then crank the volume it's close to the same as booking the tone control.