amp help Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Artist, Dec 28, 2004.

1. hi

I play over a TRACE ELLIOT GP7 SM BASS PRE AMP 150 and would like to know more about it. I bought it second hand. I have some problems with the Graphic EQ concerning my tone. Does anyone else here play the same/or simmerlar amp.
    I would apreciate any tips/help.
    does preamp mean that I also need an amp? in what way does it defer from a "real" amp?

THANKS!!! ;)

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Here is an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file covering your head: 7-Band Range

If thats not the right one go to for more manuals. Here is a direct link: Trace Elliot Manuals

I can tell you the the head you have produces 150 watts of power at 4 ohms and thats it. Its good for practice but not enough for a live rock/punk gig. You can use the preamp out to drive a power amp then you can have the power for gigs.

On your tone, what kind of problem are you having?
  3. When we're playing I can't allways hear all the frequencys. I've tryed setting different, but ether the lows are loud or the highs are loud... damn graphic eq
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I would recommend setting the EQ flat to start. Tell your band mates you might drop out at times to set your EQ. Start playing and when you hear a frequency that not right, make a slight increase/decrease as necessary. Remember, nice smooth EQ adjustments. If you boost the 2khz then you will need to boost the slider on each side by about half of the what you did a 2khz.

Read that .pdf. It does go into how to set an EQ that will work for any type of EQ out there.

EDIT: I forgot to add that there are three key frequencies to really change your sound: 400hz-800hz-1.6khz
  5. thanks for your help guys I'll try fiddeling around with the graphic eq at next practice. I think the pdf file contains most of the information I need (or understand :rolleyes: )

thanks again