Amp help....trouble with an Eden vt300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catphish, Oct 27, 2004.

1. catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    Just got a Eden VT300, which I know has gotten less than favorable reviews here at TB, but I figured I’d give it a shot since I’m getting quite tired of lugging around the 85 lb Sunn 300T. Anyways, I got it yesterday and began to A/B it with the Sunn. As far as that goes, I think the basic tone of the Eden comes out ahead, it seems a little fuller but the biggest difference was when the Eden was cranked to the max it was almost completely silent when I wasn’t playing. The Sunn had some features that the Eden doesn’t though……I’m still torn.

Anyway….after playing for a couple hours the amp suddenly started making a bizarre noise, like nothing I’ve heard from an amp before. I’m not even sure how to describe it. I unplugged my bass from the amp, and even when everything was turned completely down it was making a sort of varying static noise, that was really loud. Anybody got any ideas what it could be?

The amp is in fantastic condition and the tubes look worn very little, but still it’s the first series of the amps, pre footswitch. Before buying it I talked with david Eden who told me most of the problems they’d had with those amps was from the A & B series with the footswitch, not the first series. So I was hoping I woldn’t have any problems. Looks like I won’t be that lucky.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There is no "David Eden", though there is a David Nordschow, perhaps that's who you spoke with.

The cabs are called the David SERIES, by Eden, a play on the David vs. Goliath theme, since David Nordschow was involved with the development of the SWR Goliath cabs, then left and formed Eden Electronics.
  3. catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    No ****?

I spoke with two Davids, Nordschow was one, and another David, that I thought was David Eden….. The tech guy at US music said I would need to talk with David Eden, not that he knew what he was talking about either…
  4. catphish

Feb 25, 2003

Is this ‘don’t help the hippie week’ on TB? I got a Halloween show on Saturday I wanted to use it at….I made an appointment with a amp tech tonight, so I guess I’ll just have to do that.