Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Amp Help]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luciano_Bass, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    Hi there,

My name is Luciano Rossi, I've been playing bass guitar for about 3/4 years now, however in this time have managed to reach a relatively high standard. Unfortunately, I have outplayed my 'Carlsbro Keyboard' amp thing... ahem ahem.

I play jazz/rock and lots of function work (ie - musicals, folk trios etc). I use an IBANEZ BTB 406

I need reliable and professional equipement, I'm currently quite taken by the 'SWR - 350x'.

And I'm also looking at cabs - 4x10 are on the agenda. Perhaps - ACME B4, Ampeg BSE 410 HLF.

Basically, I'm looking for some opinions you have, or can provide me with any help as to what I should be looking for.

All help is welcome - I'm desperate.

Cheers fellow musicians,
    Luciano Rossi

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i reccomend head/cabinet setup over a combo.
    depending upon your budget i would try to get an amp that can put out around 400 watts into the cabinet(s) you intend to use it with. that should be good for most gigs. Likewise, four tens, two tens and a fifteen, two tens and a twelve, a twelve and a fifteen, two twelves, or two fifteens are all combinations that will handle almost any gig.

here's some more amp info that may help you choose the right amp/speaker combinations - amp info

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're seriously looking at a 350 watt head, cross the Acme B4 off your list of cabinets. Those bad boys need about 1000 watts to really come alive (or so I've read). My personal experience with a B2 and 700 watts would lead me to believe that it's very true!

4. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    Cool, the Acme has been discarded from my mind. I read the same elsewhere, I just mis interpretted it.

Any other suggestions?

SWR - Goliath 3? What you think?

Cheers again,
    Luciano

5. Eden D410T. Still one of the best sounding 410's for the money. It's a basic 410 w/ tweeter and rear firing port, and they are built like tanks.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Ampeg is a good choice, I have 2 Eden 410's. Good boom for the buck either way.

Mike

7. I think the Ampeg cab would do you well for the low end rumble of rock and jazz. Eden would also be a respectable choice for sure, and would probably be louder and a bit punchier.

8. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    cheers y'all

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Whats the budget, Luciano. And are you from Glasgow, Scotland or Glasgow state-side?

10. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    Hey,

The budget is roughly:
    -£1000

(If you need it in dollars then just work it out, about $1700 perhaps)

Cheers