Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jan 20, 2005.

1. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I think I might sell my 400+ in a few months, and get something different. The tone is great, but I just think it could be better, because I've heard amps I like better, and the range of tones isn't as diverse as some amps. I loved the sound of the SVT CL, but some said that it isn't that diverse either. I only really need diverse sounds for recording (I run a basement studio) but they'd be nice to have for gigs. Which leaves me with a few options as i see it. An Ashdown head (ABM or MAG, i'm not sure yet), the SVT CL, or an Avalon U5 with a QSC power amp. How are the direct outs on the Ashdown and Ampeg? If I don't get the U5, i'll probably get a Radial JDI, but if I don't need one, thats better. I play modern rock, I want a very punchy sound. But for recording, I want to be able to get good tones for anything from jazz to death metal to punk and everything in between. I'll be playing either a Stringray or Sterling. For gigging, i'd need something that could handle 200-300 people. Recommendations? Suggestions? Thanks.
  2. The Ashdown ABM series has an excellent basic tone. It doesn't vary wildly, but I would be entirely comfortable using one for either jazz or rock. They can go from reasonably mellow to reasonably aggressive. I also happen to think that they sound amazingly good with Stingrays/Sterlings. However, you should probably go try stuff out, as my ears might hear things differently from yours.

On second thought, I would actually be fine with using any of those amps for almost anything, though most people might not like the idea of using an SVT for jazz. Eh, my choice stands: ABM.
  3. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    This should probably go in the Bassists section, but it pertains to what i said before. For my own personal tone, diversity aside, I would love to get a tone like Justin Chancellor, on Disposition. I know he uses delay on that song, I'm just talking about the tone of the bass itself. I know he uses a Demeter pre and a Wal bass. Could any of my above options, with a Strinray/Sterling, give me that tone, or should I get a Demeter pre? Thanks again.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    maybe, you just gotta try. i would suggest trying a stewart 2.1 or 1.6 of the qsc plx amps. you may or may not like the tone of the solid state poweramp section if you are a big fan of the mesa 400+ and ampeg, but then again you may. those amps tend not to "color" the sound the way a tube power section will. I dig both the tube sound and the "transparent" solid state tone, but i use the stewart myself because it's 20 pounds and two rack spaces.

i have a demeter and love it to death, but that doesn't mean that you will. I've been dying to compare it to an avalon U5 myself. Jokerjkny uses an avalon and a stewart and just got a demeter preamp. he's supposed to be posting a comparison soon.