Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ladros2, Jun 5, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I'm Looking to buy an swr 750x, a goliath iii 4x10 700w and a son of bertha 1x15 350w, two eight ohm speakers, head 750 watts @ 4 ohm, how will that be divided? half to each, or two parts to the 4x10 and one to the 1x15 or anything else? First really big amp, confused...

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    thanks for the help and fast reply jack.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Now just tell everyone that I am fast and helpful, and we'll be cool. :D

4. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Yes - half the power goes to each speaker. BUT - given different speaker types and cabinets, how loud each cabinet gets is ruled by the efficiency of the cabinet. (Efficiency in cabinets is usually given as dB at 1Watt/1 meter. And 93 dB @ 1W/1M is about 1% efficient as I recall.)

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    A good point.

The Goliath 3 is 105db @1w/1m
    The SOB is 102db @1w/1m

Those are some very efficient cabs, but the 410 will be noticeably (but not very) louder. This is one reason why many people put their 115 on top of the 410, because cabinets closer to ear level seem louder. You will also get more low end response this way as the cab that goes lower (Goliaths 40hz vs SOB 45hz) will be coupling with the floor.