Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shearstown, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Hello,

I've been playing bass for three years and while I'm pretty advanced in the playing of the bass my knowledge in amps is limited at the moment. So I have a few questions. By the way I'm currently playing on a crate BX-100

There is a a plugin on my amp for another speaker though it is a solid state amp. What kind of speaker do I need? What cables to hook it up. Will any cabinet speaker go with this or do I need something special?

What exactly is a head? I now it's the part that decides the sound and loudness but what does it need to work? If I had an ampeg amp head what would I need to plug it into and what kind of cables do I need. The whole concept of preamps, heads, cabs, and all that eludes me. Just wondering if I could get some help.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For bass, you bassically[sic] need:

1. Bass
    2. Preamp
    3. Power amp
    4. Speaker(s)

The bass plugs into the preamp which converts instrument level to line level and does tone shaping. The preamp connects to the power amp and the power amp drives the speaker or speakers.

A head is a preamp and power amp combined in one unit.

A combo, like yours, is a head and a speaker or speakers combined in one unit.

3. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    So is it better to get a combo or a head then a cab. If I were to say attempt to become a professional? (just using it as an example)

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    If I were you I would buy the best piece of gear I could with the money I had.

In other words if I had 1000$ and I needed a rig I would settle for something a little cheaper like www.avatarspeakers.com given they aren't your edens', bergantino's, or schroeders, but they will get the job done.

If the best amp you can buy is an ampeg b100r then so be it, all's that matters is that you are doing what you love.

Then again if you have say 2k saved up, you could go check into the bigger named stuff like schroeder or bergantino.

It's all about what you want it to be.

If you can try everything before you buy it, it works wonders.

-Rob

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Neither is more or less professional. Everything is a tradeoff between flexibility versus convenience. A combo is more convenient, a head/cab is more flexible.

You might want to fill out your profile and let us know what styles of music you play.

As to connecting an external speaker to the BX100, I wouldn't bother. The external speaker is in series with the internal speaker, the amp will actually produce less output. This is common in smaller combos.

6. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Thanks for all the help, I'm still learning all the technical aspects to the bass guitar and amps and such.

7. brich74

brich74 Guest

I had a bx-100 back when I started. If you can afford to upgrade you will feel like a new player! I have a Fender Bassman 150 combo now (which is nothing fancy) and it is FAR superior to that old crate. You'll wonder how you ever got along with the Crate.