amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BFox, Jul 22, 2001.

1. BFox

Jul 22, 2001
    I jus started playing bass and am looking for an amp. I have around $1500 to spend. I want something decent that will have some resale value if I decide not to stick with the bass or when I eventually upgrade. I am interested in a seperate head and cab. Information on wattage and preffered brands would be appreciated.
  2. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    $1500 seems like quite alot to spend if your just starting out. If you don't know if you plan to stick with it, I would recommend a combo amp. These are usually much cheaper than a head and cabinet and if stick with playing bass and upgrade you can always sell it or keep it for a practice or rehearsal amp. Like everybody else will say here, go out and try as many brands of amps as you can, new or used and decide what features and sound you like. Personally, I like Ampeg products and their resale value is very good, check out Ebay. SWR Workingman series is also a good choice. As far as power goes it depends on your playing situation. 25-50 watts should suit you fine for now. I have a 50 watt combo that I use to mostly practice but it is plenty loud for small jams. A rule of thumb that most people go by is you like have 3-4 times the power of the guitarist if your playing in a loud band. Good luck.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think I would stick with a combo amp, too, if you are just starting out. Also, I probably wouldn't spend more than $1000. Very few of the more expensive amps are in such demand that you won't lose at least couple hundred dollars when you resell them.
  4. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    like the other guys said, if you're just starting out, you probably don't need to spend 1500 bux. also, go to guitar center/mars/sam ash and play everything. follow your ears. stock advice yes, but good advice.

if you're interested in a head/cab for up to 1500 bux, i would suggest looking at these:

eden time traveller 330W + d410xlt

swr bass 350 + goliath III

ampeg b2r + 410hlf cab (svt or b series)

any carvin rig, especially if you live in so-cal and can get to a store to play them.

gallien krueger 700rb + 410rbh

just go to stores and try things out, then assess your needs and try to fill them.
  5. Let's go slowly here. #1) welcome to talkbass, Bfox. 99%
    of the people here are of a very high caliber, and are very willing to help.
    #2) I checked your bio; you have a Dean Edge 4. That's a good bass, but, you didn't list any influences, so we don't know what type of music you're into.
    #3) Since you're just starting out, and mentioned that you might not stick with it, I would *VERY STRONGLY* suggest that you don't spend all your money on a big/expensive amp right off the bat.
    My advise(humbly offered) would be to get a mid size combo, 100-200watts which, if you don't see joining a band in the forseeable future, will be more than enough for your needs.(practice, first jams)
    A big powerful amp is a headache to move anywhere, and, if you do find yourself getting good at bass playing, you can then judge from your first amp how much bigger you should go. Plus you'll still have the first amp as practice/backup. Believe me it won't go to waste. Don't buy any amp with thoughts of resale value; while some hold their value better than others, most of us take nice long baths when selling equipment. For $500.00 you can get a Fender Bassman 100 watt amp, for about $630.00 you can get the 200watt model. I have a Bassman 60, and it is perfect for practice or jamming. Again, I'm not telling you what to do, I just don't want to see you blow a ton of money before you know if you're gonna stick with it. Also, smaller amps are easier to get rid of than big monsters most of the time. Just my 2 cents.

Mike J.
  6. SWR workingman 4004

Eden CX410

total price about $ 1350,-

it's the same set as i bought recently, and it ROCKS !!!

7. Hello BFox and welcome to Talk Bass.

Nice advice from Micheal Jewels, I thought. Taking things a touch slowly has to be the right way. There's always the "need" to rush out and blow a load of $$$$ but It's honestly not necessary. I also agree that 100 to 200 Watts should be fine for now.

As for models, that's more difficult because there's always so much to pick from. Then there's the gear aimed perhaps @ pro players and, well, semi-pro players.

Perhaps something from Trace Elliot or Peavey would be good for you. I think Marshall do smaller bass combos these days but you tend to pay a bit more for having that famous old name on the front IMHO. For upgrades later why not select a combo that's got a line out: you could then hook that up to another of the same / another rig ' a later date? Just a thought and might be worth looking at.

And don't forget to shop around. Dealers' prices usually differ and most will listen to being asked for discounts for cash, etc.

Happy hunting.

Rockin John
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    oh man you have 1500 to spend. Seriously i can think of the perfect amp for you. Its a combo amp, but a big one. I can't remeber then name right now but i have tried one, and i know most stores carry them. Its an SWR with a red panel on the front, and chrome grill covering. Its a 2x10 combo on wheels and its 350 watts. I remeber playing one of these and i fell it love with it, it was pricy(like 1200-1400). i went home to find a used one online and i was dissappointed to find out that they hold their resale value real well. this amp sounds perfect for what yoiur lookin for. I really wish i culd remember the name but i'm sure someone inTB knows what amp i'm talking about.
  9. Hyperlitem was talking about the SWR Super Red Head Combo. Eden makes a similar combo called the Metro which is a pretty sweet sounding amp.
  10. BFox

Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks to all who replied.I have been busy busting the plaster off the wall! (borrowed an amp for now).After I have a chance to digest all the input I will be buying that amp. Thnaks again