1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by by_roe, Apr 26, 2006.

1. by_roe

by_roe

Apr 26, 2006
    allright, so ive been looking around at several stores looking for a good cab and head for jazz, rock and funk.

i tried ampeg and all the heads and cabs i used tend to bottom out, so im kinda leaning away from them. i liked how the highs and mids sounded but the lows weren't what i liked.

i also tried the gk's with the 1001rb and the 410 and 115. that thing was pretty good, and for the price i liked it.

i was wanting to know about other amps like mesa boogie and any other ones.

i just started saving up some money don't have much so i have a long time to decide...

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I can get good tones for just about anything out of my Mesa 400+. It is one of the most versitle amps I have played, especially when coupled with my FX unit. The GK is fairly versitle, but it doesn't get that awesome tube overdrive you may want for rock (or you may not want it, depending on your tone). Its also a good idea to mix and match cabs and heads made by different companies; nothing matches my Mesa 400+ like my Bergantinos! I wouldn't rule out Ampeg simply because it started to fart; it may have been defective or you could remedy that by EQing it and/or adding more cab. And Ampeg heads don't all sound alike. That said, I would not recommend much of anything Ampeg for modern, slap/pop oriented funk, or even older school finger funk.