amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jian_cheng, Sep 6, 2001.

1. jian_cheng

Jul 13, 2001
    my amp always have a buzzing humming sound .. its not from my basss ... and i think its grounded properly .. what seems to the the problem ? i am using peavey microbass . it came with a 2 pin plug .. and in singapore we are using 3 pin so i change it ... but theres still a buzzing sound .. pls help ?
  2. Try a power/line conditioner with a EMF & RFI attenuator. 75db @ 1kHz is good.
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Are you sure it's not your cable?

Check that out, if you have a cracked cable, I've found they buzz and/or hum a lot.

I doubt it'd be your amp, I'm not familiar with microbass, but I've had 3 Peavey amps of my own.

The first one was a microbass (Which was a rental, that I didn't have for long (it was my first amp, which wasn't even mine)), and none of my Peavey amps have made any sort of noise.

So, I'm guessing it's your cable. Check that out. :)

Edit: Instrument cable, I just realized I didn't specify which cable.
  4. You'll find that even by replacing the 2-prong with a 3-prong, often there's still no earth wire running into the amp at all - so the 3rd (earth) prong becomes redundant.

It does sound like your instrument cable...have you tried plugging into another amp with your bass and cable? (even if it's at yer local music shop)
  5. jian_cheng

Jul 13, 2001
    well i tried using a different instrument cable .. its still the same ... infact the problem is even when the pregain (VOLUME) is at 3 and i crank up the tone .. it humsssss horribly loud ...

this is so .... depressing
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't know what else to think of... It could be that some soldering came loose somewhere?

I haven't experienced any problems with any Peavey combos, amps, or cabinets ever...

They're actually known for being one of the most durable companies. :)

If all else fails, take it to a tech, and have them look at it.
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm not sure what kind of power you have over there, but first you want to make sure that the amp is properly grounded. The ground wire in the power cord must electrically connected to the chassis and the pin on the plug end must be the correct one to your outlet.

Second, the polarity of the hot and neutral wires must be correct. In the old days, amps over here often had polarity switches to reduce hum. They reversed the hot and neutral to achieve this.

Be very careful with power wiring. Unless you thoroughly understand electricity, I would recommend having a qualified technician check the wiring.

- Mike