1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Rossness, May 9, 2010.

1. The Rossness

The Rossness

May 6, 2010
    I'm kind of lost. I'm a guitarist who's switching over to bass and need an amp, but I know very little about bass amps. I need some help and recommendations for an amp. I want something I can learn and practice on, but at the same time, I want something that's gig worthy. I don't want one amp for practice and another for shows. My budget is about $700. I don't care if its a head/ cab or a combo.

Do tubes make a difference in a bass rig? Also, How many watts should I got for?

I play everything from The Beach Boys to Iron Maiden and some fusion now and again.

I tried out the Acoustic amps at GC and they did nothing for me. The Carvin amps don't seem to get good reviews. I have a chance to get a Markbass F1 in my area for 500 bones, but don't think I can get a good cab for $200. Bugera's and their prices are tempting, but I know their electric guitar amps fall apart, so I'm not sure if I should take a chance on them. I played some ampeg stuff too. I liked it a lot, but couldn't afford their prices.

I looked the the Tech 21 Landmark 300 and it seems amazing, but it cost too much. Anyone have a used one they want to sell me? ;)

I know it's a broad question, but I could use some help as I don't know what direction to go in. I could use some amp recommendations- Thanks in advance.

...BTW, I'm going to be using a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

2. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    GK MB212 or MB210

3. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Get a 1x15, 2x10, or 2x12 combo, maybe used, with at least 200 watts. Use that until you develop a taste for bass amps. A tube preamp warms up the sound quite a bit but solid state amps sound fine and work better for bass than for guitar. All tube amps - you're talking mostly heads and they aren't cheap. Good luck.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My starter rig was an Ampeg Svt 400T (Ebay) used but works great with an Ampeg 410HLF. However you can also get a combo to start off without buying a rig that might not be right for you. Follow what was said go to solid state first tubes are "mucho dinero". Fender makes great combo's ($700 -$1000) as do other companies, I prefer at least (1) 15" to start off......:cool:

5. ^ this!

6. Obviously you have not done some research on this site yet.

Carvin has a very good rep from real world bass players on this forum.

Look into threads on the B1500, the BX1500, the B2000, and the BX500 :bassist:

7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

First of all, try buying used. Usually a lot cheaper that way.

Tubes do make a difference to many of us, but for $700 you probably won't be able to get any unless you're really lucky.

+1 to Carvin. They have a really good reputation for quality to price. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1x15 or 2x10. Peavey is also relatively inexpensive.