Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp heresy...Eden or Ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I love my Eden WT400 amphead. Best amphead I've ever owned. Love everything about it. I am a devoted Eden fan, yet...

I needed a new cab and picked up a brand new Ampeg BSE410HLF. Wonderful cab and it sounds great with my Eden head.

But...though I brought my Eden head along to test out the Ampeg cabs, while I was at my local Ampeg dealer I thought I would try out the heads as well.

I was floored by the power and tone from the Ampeg heads. I just love the SVT-2PRO...and actually, all of them sounded great.

So now I'm torn. I really don't have the cash for one, but I am lusting after an Ampeg head...preferrably an all tube head, but even the SS with the tube preamps got me as well.

Keep my Eden? Trade it in, or sell it and get an Ampeg? Which one? Just throwing this out there for some very subjective opinions. :D

2. I have no experience with Eden but I do own an SVT II Pro - and I absolutely LOVE the sound and power of it!

However, it is a high-maintenance amp. It is very heavy (70 lbs) and all tube. So you will want to weigh (no pun intended) this into your decision making process. You will need a good road case for it to protect it in transit and you MUST WARM IT UP AND GIVE IT LOTS OF FRESH, COOL AIR WHILE PLAYING. So don't make the mistake I did and stuff it into a poorly ventilated SKB 2-space case...

Since I learned my lesson about the heat issue, it has been a rock-solid amp ever since and I absolutely LOVE the sound! It makes my MMSR5 and my Spector Repob 5 sound incredible!

--tz

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, that SVT-2PRO is a killer amp. I realize the weight of it, but the sound coming out of that thing seems almost worth it.

Anyone have experience with Ampeg's other SS/Tube preamp ampheads?

4. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Depending on your power and stage volume requirements, I found the SVT-3PRO to be a good mate to my SVT410HLF. Between the variable tube gain and graphic EQ, it offers up a lot of tonal capabilities!

Randy

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I thought the SVT3-PRO was the best of the SS amps with the tube preamp.

My Eden has a tube pre as well, but the Ampeg uses 3 preamp tubes...and it sounded a lot more like the Classic SVT than my Eden does.

It's not like I don't like my Eden anymore...it's still my favorite amp...but just something about Ampeg is making me GAS for one. The SVT-3PRO puts out 450 watts. My Eden puts out 400. Both into 4 ohms (which my Ampeg BSE410HLF is).

6. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    I wouldn't get rid of anything that I really liked. Save up, it'll give you a goal to work towards. Something to look forward to. And you'll still have the Eden. More toys...

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hmmm, yeah that thought crossed my mind...

...and then thoughts of how much my four kids cost did too.

I think I might do the saving thing though. There is nothing wrong with my Eden head...at all, and in fact it sounds fabulous.

It's just GAS. :D