Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Hiss problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexssandro, Oct 20, 2000.

1. When I turn on my amp, I noticed little hissing and crackling sounds. I understand that every amp will produce some noise, but the noise should be constant. I noticed however, that the hiss seems louder than usual and there are also some minor crackling sounds that are very irritating.

I have a Hartke 3500 head and 410 speakers. The head seems to be sensitive to touch because when I touch the knobs or mess with the input jack, the crackling gets worse. Also, when I change the EQ, the EQ of the hiss changes. (I guess that's natural though.)

What could be the problem? Is this occurring perhaps due to dust?

Thanks.

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    If I'm not mistaken the 3500 has a 12AX7 tube in it. You may have a bad or microphonic tube. Other problems could be loose connections or dirty pots. Replace the tube yourself first. If problem persists, take to a tech. He can check pots and all solder connections. These would be the obvious places I would start.

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I'd take Dougs advice. Try changing the tube first. On my 3500, I've changed the tube a few times. When it starts to go bad, all kinds of strange things happen, namely a lot of static, which disappears if you turn the tube pre-amp down to zero.

Get those pots checked out too. You might want to try some tuner cleaner on them, sometimes that will do the trick.

By the way, is this an older amp? I hope that it's not a brand new one!