1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekH253, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Running the following:
    SWR SM400 into GK Neo 410
    With no effects, 2 different passive basses using Bayou cables.

I get a gnarly hissing with both basses that seems to go away if I hold onto the end of my neutrik ends, or dial the tone knobs doen. Absolutely silent with no guitar plugged in. I'm wondering is this common for this amp, or is it like I suspect: the pickups on both basses.

2. Does the amp hiss the same with nothing plugged in and the controls at the same point? Is it a hiss or a hum??

3. It doesn't matter what the controls on the amp are. The only thing that dulls or eliminates it is turning tone knobs on guitar down which sucks because it sounds dead, or unplugging my bass. It's a hiss with one bass and just ststic hum on the other. I'm really thinking it's my basses the more I tinker with it

4. D'oh! I forgot there's a deep freezer in my shop where I jam, could be the culprit, gonna go test it

5. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm also thinking it's either your basses or possible your cable.

B-string likes this.
  6. It's not the cable. I'm Thinking It's My basses. One is a pos dean, the other is the marina. New pickups, pots, and bridge ordered to spruce up this beautifully ugly fish!

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Have you done any troubleshooting on your basses trying to identify the cause of the problem or are you guessing what the problem is?

Have you tried another, known good cable?

Does the noise change significantly if you move the bass around?

8. I have 3 new cables, i troubleshooted it to the bass. The dean hums, the marina hisses unless the tone knob is turned way low, then it becomes a hum. No change when moving bass around, unplugged local fridges etc, no change

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Before you start changing around your basses, I would certainly try a known good bass just to be sure. It's unusual for both basses to be bad (unless they have been hacked on and not well serviced).

Did you try another brand of cable, to rule out cables improperly made of defective? I have received entire batches of defective parts (incorrectly assembled)... frustrating when troubleshooting out in the field.

10. I got a message from my old guitarist last week. He had a big gig out of state last weekend and both his wireless units were acting up, this coming weekend is "Country Thunder" in AZ. He had smashed the cable to his Shure transmitter, a new 1/4" jack fixed that one. Brand new $60 upgrade cable sounded really bad, inspected and found two problems: 1) A stray strand of wire causing an intermittent. 2) The barrel clamp on the 1/4" was tightened when the cable was still hot from soldering, collapsed the cable and also caused a high impedance short. Remade that end and his world is good again. No wireless trouble, just cable troubles.

11. Ill go ahead and try another bass, and then a new cable on my basses. Both of mine are pretty beat haha. Thanks for the suggestions, will update soon

B-string likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If the amp doesn't hiss with no basses, it is probably fine. The hiss you are getting from your other basses, is it affected by touching any metal/strings/bridge? Is either bass active? If so, new batteries?

13. Did you do the test I outlined in post #2??